Tuesday, March 02, 2021

Cool World

Remarkably, No Escape Room was not the worst movie I watched two Saturdays ago. All those early '90s comics that had ads for this on the inside cover, and I'd never seen it.

I didn't know how good I had it. I gave up on this after 50 minutes, and that was at least 35 minutes too long. It's like someone decided to do the '90s Image Comics version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, right down to really shitty art and incoherent plot. There's a whole toon world, and a cartoonist in the '90s who thinks he created it, except it already existed in the 1940s long enough to bring Brad Pitt over there right after his mother dies in a motorcycle accident.

Just the parts I saw have all these random digressions into toon stupidity, but not in a way that really tells you anything you hadn't already figured out about the "Cool World", namely that it's a depressing, crime-ridden shithole. The Jessica Rabbit stand-in, Holli, wants into the real world because girls can feel things there? She clearly already feels envy, so I'm not sure what she's missing. The cartoonist guy's been popping over there enough Brad Pitt knows about it, but the cartoonist acts befuddled every freaking time.

It felt like watching an extended Ren & Stimpy episode, with all sorts of nonsensical crap stuffed in that's supposed to be funny, but is really just trying to pad it out. Early strong contender for worst movie I watch this year! At least, I hope I don't watch something worse than this.

No comments: