Sunday, March 07, 2021

Sunday Splash Page #156

 
"Trying for the Stunt Bonus," in The Dirty Pair Omnibus, by Haruka Takachiho (writer), Hisao Tamaki (artist), Meaghan Tucker (letterer)

I originally learned about this after David Brothers did a few posts about it on 4thletter back in the day. He talked it up, the panels he used for examples made it look pretty good. Since I had no expectation it would actually get translated, I went to the point of buying it in Japanese. Can I read kanji? No, no I can not. Then we did get a translated version in late 2019, and I bought it. I'm actually fairly surprised how much I could understand just from the art, now that I know what everyone was saying.

Past that bit of history, there's not much to say I didn't cover in my review last July. The action sequences are really entertaining and drawn well. Some of the comedy bits work, some don't. I think the nature of Dirty Pair stories, that their missions always end in immense property damage and loss of life, does work against the comic when it tries for more emotional heft. Yuri sees two of her childhood friends die in one of the stories, and it seems very sad. 

Then it turns out they died because her and Kei's partner, a sort of sentient panther-looking thing went on a rampage and wrecked something he shouldn't. And the comic kind of plays that as a funny moment of the two of them scolding him for it like he just ate the last of their chocolate or something, as opposed to getting two innocent people killed. But, again, these two are so used to people dying around them, because of them, so maybe it really shouldn't matter these two were actually friends?

No comments: