Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Holy Crap, A Month Full of Interesting Things!

There are actually a lot of things to talk about in June's solicitations. Does this mean the long winter is over?!

OK, I'm not planning to buy anything from DC, but I figured I'd mention they're letting Garth Ennis do some sort of Batman mini-series. Seems curious to let someone who hates Batman write a mini-series about him, but sure, why not. There's also a Supergirl: World of Tomorrow mini-series by Bilquis Evely that once again tries to find someplace for Supergirl to belong. Oh, and there's an official comic adaptation of the upcoming sequel to Space Jam!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I suppose it's good I can laugh about things like that, rather than losing the will to live.

OK, on to companies with comics I might buy. Marvel's still wasting time with Heroes Reborn, but it might end in June. The X-Men are doing some "Hellfire Gala" with really stupid "formal" outfits for everyone. So if I'm still buying Way of X by its third issue, I have that to look forward to. Busiek's The Marvels will be on its third issue, Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon concludes, Black Knight reaches its penultimate issue. Black Cat may be in trouble for all the heroes she's ripped off over the course of her title, but there's also an Annual coming out which is part of some "Infinite Destinies" thing. Gerry Duggan may be doing another Infinity Gems related thing? Did they learn nothing from garbage-ass Infinity Challenge? What am I saying, of course they didn't. These are the people who thought they needed a second Civil War.

No sign of Runaways, though. Bummer. Fingers crossed for a skip month.

Dark Horse. There's a mini-series called Jenny Zero about a washed-up former mech pilot trying to sober up and fight kaiju again. Its third issue comes out in June, but I might try and grab issue 1 next month. More importantly, a second volume of John Allison's Steeple is out in trade! I guess this is stuff he did strictly online. That's two months in a row with good collections from Dark Horse, whoo!

In terms of books I'll probably still be buying, there's the third issue of You Promised Me Darkness and issue 2 of Freak Snow through Behemoth Comics. There's the fifth and final issue of White Lily from Red 5, and the second issue of Yuki vs. Panda through Source Point Press. 

Scout Comics does have the second issue of Midnight Western Theatre listed in the June solicits, just as the end of issue 1 promised. Plus the first issue of Deniz Camp and Filya Bratukhin's Chaos Agent, about a super-spy who wants more from life and is keeping secrets from the organization he works for. Then Literati Press has Nick Hermes' Black Jack Demon, about a boy who tries to hunt down the man who killed his father in the Old West. I'm not sure if it's a one-off thing, or the first issue of a series.

I doubt I would buy either of these, but there were two mangas that amused me. Tokyopop had Her Royal Highness Seems Angry, about a beloved princess whose kingdom was destroyed and is reincarnated in someone who is hated by everyone, including her family. OK, that's not funny, or it doesn't seem like it to me. But the title is kind of funny. The other was from Yen Press, called Maid I Hired Recently is Mysterious. I mean, that could go a whole lotta ways.

Best case scenario, where I'm still buying all those Marvel titles come June, and decide I like Jenny Zero, that could be 14 new comics that month, plus the Steeple trade. My gosh, it's like it's 10 years ago.

No comments: