Wednesday, June 30, 2021

The Summer of Big Hauls End with Fall

The September solicits were a real letdown. Just not much out there from almost anyone. I think my eyes had crossed by the time I waded through all the Batman-related stuff in DC's offerings. Boom, IDW, Image, Dark Horse, nothing really caught the eye.

Marvel's not doing so great, either. I didn't see Runaways for the second time in four months. I don't think it ends in August, but maybe I'm wrong. Way of X has segued into some overpriced one-shot called X-Men Onslaught - Revelation, which Spurrier apparently described as a 'season finale.' It really just makes me think about bailing on Way of X even sooner. Which would leave Black Cat (still on its Infinity Heist storyarc), Moon Knight (if the first two issues impressed me), and that Defenders mini-series by Ewing and Javier Rodriguez.

Ms. Marvel's getting a five-issue mini-series, but it's written by Saladin Ahmed, whose Magnificent Ms. Marvel did nothing for me. Ka-Zar's getting a mini-series that brings him back from the dead. I didn't even know he died, but I ignored Empyre, so that's no surprise. Even Kang's got himself a mini-series.

Outside the larger publishers, Scout's doing pretty well. Midnight Western Theatre will be wrapping up, and Locust will be on issue 4. And Karl Kesel and David Hahn have a mini-series about a thief who gets mistaken for a superhero called Impossible Jones. Figure that's at least worth looking at.

There's a second issue of Black Jack Demon out. Hopefully I'll have the first issue by then. And Mark Russell and Ben Tiesma have their second issue of Deadbox out as well. Which brings me up to 8 single issues for the month. Oof.

It's not all bad news. Yen Press has volume 15 of Kiyohiko Azuma's Yotsuba! The first new volume in three years. It doesn't come out until the very end of the month, but that just makes it something to look forward to, right?

No comments: