Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Not a Bad End to the Year, Comicswise

I wasn't expecting the December solicits up until the end of this week, but I'll take it. As with November, it's shaping up to be a solid month, if not necessarily a lot of new stuff. Last issue of Defenders, sixth issue of Moon Knight. The Mosley/Reilly Thing book is a six-issue mini-series, don't know why Marvel waits until the second issue to tell us that.

Fourth issue of Deadbox, third issues of Black Jack Demon and Rush, second issues of Grrl Scouts, Lunar Room, Impossible Jones, and Tales from the Dead Astronaut

Vault Comics has a new series, End After End, about an unassuming guy who dies, then finds himself caught in a war against some dire threat to existence, and figures he must be the one who's going to save the day. I'm at least considering it. Something I won't be buying, but was surprised to see, was a Cowboy Bebop comic based on the upcoming live-action Netflix show. I'm sure the success of superhero movies has something to do with it, but this spate of live-action adaptations of animes always seems weird to me. Actors just look wrong to me in a way they don't necessarily when they're trying to look like Captain America or whoever. I dunno.

Biggest surprise is there's actually a couple of DC books I'm thinking about getting. The Batgirls book Becky Cloonan and Michael Conrad are doing, although I suspect I'll ultimately run into that same issue I had with the Cass & Steph story in Batman: Urban Legends, where I can't quite track the changes between what I expect the characters to be like and where they're at now. But what the hell, might as well try. The other book is the Mark Russell/Steve Lieber One-Star Squadron, about a bunch of heroes, that you can hire. Makes me think a bit of Busiek and Grummett's Power Company series, but I suspect this will be slanted more towards humor.

Switching to collections, Viz is releasing a bunch of Akira Toriyama's earlier, shorter manga works in Akira Toiryama Manga Theater. I wish they'd included the titles of the stories. I bought Sand Land a couple of years ago, and I hate to double-dip. Digital Manga has The Crater by Osamu Tezuka, who was the writer/artist for Pluto. Seems like an anthology of different short works in various genres.

T Pub has Tabitha, by Neal Gibson and "Various Artists", about a mailman who also robs empty houses he delivers to, who finds one house isn't so empty. Which is vague enough of a description to allow my imagination plenty of room to picture things I'd find interesting. Will it actually have any of those things in it? Who knows? Lev Gleason has Red Leaves, about a mother and daughter in the wilds of Soviet Russia, waiting for the dad to return from Finland. It's written by Massimo Rosi, who's writing Locust, and the art's by Ivan Fiorelli and Lorenzo Palombo. The cover looks really cool, for sure.

Humanoids is releasing Carthago, about us idiot humans finding live Megalodons deep in the sea. But I've already read MEG (years and years before it was a movie starring Jason Statham), so do I need to read this? Finally, Blue Fox Comics has Gone, by Simon Burks and Juan Fleites, about a helper robot that wakes up on a spaceship devoid of any humans to help. Which is not how things are supposed to be. Could go a lot of ways with that, I suppose.

No comments: