Wednesday, September 08, 2021

Thankfully, Things Get Better in November

After the disaster that was the October solicitations, November's are a real improvement. Even if a lot of the things that interest me are larger graphic novels I probably won't buy for months. Might as well start with those.

Image releases the first volume of Shadecraft, by Joe Robertson, Lee Garbett and Antonio Fabela. About a young woman who thinks shadows are trying to kill her. I couldn't quite commit to buying it when it was coming out, but maybe as a trade, I'll be able to pull the trigger. From A14 Books, there's Martin Stiff's Tiny Acts of Violence about a schoolteacher in late-1960s East Berlin being pursued by something. That one's $35, so it might be a while unless I win one of those $10,000 prizes Missouri's awarding for being vaccinated and just go nuts with the money. Volume 1 of Steve Orlando and Matthew Dow Smith's Dead Kings is out through Aftershock, about a man enlisting the help of an old soldier to rescue his younger brother from a work camp in some dystopian world.

Is that all? Not even close! 1903: Manhunt is about a sheriff and his deputy trying to hunt down a killer who escaped prison to take revenge on his gang that betrayed him. Judging by the mouth on the shadow in the background of the cover, the killer is either Venom or Killer Croc. Anyway, that's by Federico Galeotti and Francesco Mazzoli, through New Friday (or Lev Gleason - New Friday). Magnetic Press has Carbon Silicon by Mathieu Bablet, about two robots designed to care for humans who are separated for 100 years. We get to see the fall of humanity through their eyes.

What do you mean I need to pick less depressing books? OK, how about this, Genghis Con by Oliver Ho, Daniel Reynolds, Ruth Redmond and Chris Peterson, about a grifter trying to help her sister by winning a rally race from England to Mongolia. Maybe there'll be Vikings with beehive catapults like Speed Racer! Probably not, but there could be. Or the second volume of Strange Adventures of a Broke Mercenary? I'm sure a down-on-his-luck merc taking a job from a mysterious princess can lead to nothing but good times!

OK, that's all the collected edition stuff. Single issues, Moon Knight is up to issue 5, Defenders up to issue 4. Giant-Size Black Cat is going to be the culmination of MacKay's time writing the character. And Walter Mosley and Tom Reilly are working on a Thing book. I'm not clear on if it's a one-shot or an ongoing, though. I'm not going to buy this, but I'll mention Marvel decided the proper writer to follow Al Ewing on Incredible Hulk is Donny Cates. Cripes, why not just bring Howard Mackie back?

Source Point has the fourth issue of Yuki vs. Panda, but that's of no concern to me now. Besides, the solicit says the panda might make a friend, and that is still not what I wanted. There's also Tales from the Dead Astronaut. I assume Jonathan Thompson and Jorge Luis Gabotto are using the astronaut corpse as the storyteller or narrator for a bunch of unconnected short stories. Like the Cryptkeeper.

Vault didn't have Deadbox listed, but the first issue was supposed to ship in August and I haven't seen any sign, so maybe that's why. There is issue two of Rush, and the first issue of a book called Lunar Room, about a former werewolf bodyguard being hired by a mage. Judging by the main character's clothes, it's going to be more of a present day setting than medieval, which suits me fine. Finally, from Image is Grrl Scouts, which is a series of mini-series Jim Mahfood's been doing since the late '90s, I guess. I should probably try to read some of the earlier ones before I commit myself to buying the newest one, but he did the cover art for Alex' album, so I ought to at least keep an eye out for this.

No comments: