Thursday, July 19, 2007

Hoodies Rule!

That's what we need more of in comics today: heroes who eschew the traditional mask, and instead rock the hood look. It's just such an adaptable look. The artist can show us the character's face when we need to see a reaction, or place the face in shadow for a mysterious air, which works especially well if only the eyes are in shadow. makes you wonder what they're thinking. Plus, with a hood as part of your costume, you're less likely to draw unwanted attention, because a hood is something people who aren't costumed vigilantes (or responsible, registered government-controlled "heroes") would wear. Plus, it breathes a lot easier than your standard mask, which I'm sure could be more comfortable.

I'm probably a little biased as I very often wear hooded clothing (when weather appropriate), but still, hoods are cool, and they go really well with capes, so that's always a plus. And there are at least a few characters coming around to this way of thinking.

Raven's been wearing a hood of some sort pretty much since she was created. Really helps with her whole motif of being the kind of spooky outsider, who doesn't fit in with the others all that easily. Then you've got perhaps the poster boy for the "hood" movement, The Hood. Rogue's taken up the look herself recently (and I think it goes well with her recent troubles, since a hood can also be a sign of someone putting up barriers between themselves and others. And even our new Quasar has favored the hood as part of her look since before she even took the quantum bands right off Annihilus' wrists. Clearly, the lady knows a good style. The gray of the hood contrasts nicely with the bright colors of the costume underneath, and the shadows the hood creates make an equally nice contrast when she starts that glowy eye "cosmic awareness" stuff. And F.Y.I., Garrett, star of Thief: Deadly Shadows is also a proponent of the hood style. As a man used to lurking in shadows, he knows the value of making sure nobody can get a good look at his Most Wanted face.

Hmm, who else is there? I can't really count Captain Cold because his doesn't actually seem to obscure his face; it's just too tight-fitting, so it stops at his hairline, and hugs the top of his head. No shadow-casting there. That demented child Morrison gave Batman wore a cloak, but I'd prefer to forget that character exists. I could see Siryn or Madrox incorporating into their looks. I think it would work well for the noir feel Jamie seems to be so fond of. It can't be that hard to find a trenchcoat with a hood, can it?

Hmm, doesn't really seem like many guys are using the hood as a costume choice. What's up with that? C'mon guys, it's an easy way to go! You can get hooded clothes anywhere, which means your costume will be that much easier to replace if it gets trashed (because we all know guys hate to do sewing and stuff), and it can honestly be any less comfortable than your usual costumes.

I suppose it does make it harder to maintain a secret identity, so it probably won't work for DC where those still seem to matter. But Marvel seems to have pretty well thrown away any interest in secret identities, so I think they should definitely get some characters.

Can you think of any other heroes who like hoodies, or any that might want to consider adopting it? Maybe for Guy Gardner? *looks to see if Sallyp is around* It could only help us all if Guy hides his face from public view. *ducks brick*

6 comments:

SallyP said...

*HURLS VERY LARGE BRICK!!*

Why would Guy want to hide his face? He's a lot scarier to the bad guys when they can see him coming.

Other than that however, hoods can be quite sexy and mysterious looking. Even a little swashbuckling if done right.

Jason said...

Ragman's got a hood, right? There was a time I think where hoodies were all over. Kind of like the bomber jacket phase that marvel went though for a little while.

That said, the Hood rocked. I was lucky enough to grab the first trade when it came out and it led me to pick up all of BKV's books at the time. Did not lead me wrong.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: *BONK!* OK, I probably deserved that, but all I meant was that Guy's face frightens any small children that read Green Lantern Corps. *BONK!*

OK, yeah I deserved that. But your "swashbuckling" comment makes me think Nightcrawler needs to go with the hood look. He's into all the pirate fantasies.

jason: D'oh! I forgot about Ragman! How could I do that, I read his book! His hood doesn't seem to do the shadowing thing as much, but he's got a full mask to go with the hood, so maybe that's a reason for that. Or it's artist preference.

Ah, the bomber jackets. Everybody at Marvel was wearing those for awhile it seemed like. Except Spider-Man. he never seems to get in on the current fashion trends.

SallyP said...

Calvin, don't make me come over there! I've got a power ring and I'm not afraid to use it!

Anonymous said...

You left out Cloak (of Cloak and Dagger),and the Spectre.The shadowing works very well for both characters.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Um, Sinestro, protect me!

anonymous: You're right, I had forgotten them. Thanks for the reminder.