Saturday, July 28, 2007

It's Like Dirty Dozen, Of Course Someone Will Die

I'm having trouble coming up with any ideas that are actually good today, so I thought I'd just examine which member of Starlord's squad is most likely to bite the dust before Conquest has concluded. Sure, it's morbid, and way too early for such speculation, but like I said, I couldn't come up with anything more high concept right now. Besides, if Wendell Vaughn could get taken out last year, I doubt any of these folks are safe.

Starlord: He's the title character, so he's safe (I know, Super Skrull died last year in his mini, but he got better). Chance - 1%, just to be safe.

Rocket Raccoon: Probably the most popular character in the group, which either makes him the safest, or the one most in trouble. Since Giffen doesn't seem like a writer who kills a character just to aggravate its fanbase, I'll say Rocket's instincts are gonna keep him safe. Chance - 3%

Groot: The biggest, therefore the one likely to draw the most fire. But Rocket Raccoon seems to have formed a bond with Groot, and given RR's got great battle instincts, it's likely he'll be able to keep Groot alive. Chance - 11%

Deathcry: Seems to be the Wolverine of the group, just a little nuts. So it wouldn't be out of the question that she might get out of control and wind up going suicide run at some point. I just can't see what will put her in the position to want to do that at some point, so her combat experience ought to see her through. By the way, the Kree said Deathcry manifests nearly unbreakable claws when she goes berserker. So what, the Shi'ar were just really impressed by Wolverine after the fight at the M'Kraan Crystal? Chance - 20%.

Captain Universe: Here's where I'm putting my money. Sadly, Mr. Gabriel Vargas is the closest there seems to be in the group to a "classic" superhero. I say sadly because I don't think the good, decent, honorable types are going to do well on this mission. I imagine Gabe will balk at a moment where he needs to kill Phalanx-controlled Kree civilians, and that could be that. Or he'll blow the element of surprise trying something noble. Potential mitigating factors: 1) He's probably the most powerful member of the group, if he's anywhere near what Spidey was capable of with the Uni-Power. 2) Starlord recognizes a little of his old self in Gabe, so he'll be able to anticipate false steps Gabe would take, and prevent them. Chance - 31%

Bug/Mantis - Honestly, I can't really get enough of a bead on either of them personality-wise to decide. Bug volunteered, but that was probably because it's the fastest way out of prison. As for Mantis, I've got no idea. Is she still expecting to be the Celestial Madonna, because I imagine that would make her a bit cautious. Let's just say 19% for Bug, 15% for Mantis on the strength of her mental abilities.

Well, that didn't require much brainpower on my part, so I guess I should focus on coming up with something better for tomorrow.

. . .

Eh, maybe I'll worry about that later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it bad that I'm actually rooting for Mantis to die, if only so we don't have a chunkey, disruptive Celestial Madonna story lurch across the cosmic scene every few years? I mean, that'd still leave the actual Celestial Messiah, her son Quoi (who we saw in Avenger's Celestial Quest), but Giffen seems to have forgotten about him. Thank God.

CalvinPitt said...

kanedoras: It's not that bad to root for her death for that reason. Death as a way to avoid horrible stories is, in its own way, the most noble death a comic character can have.

Jason said...

I'd put money on Groot, I can see his death making Rocket explode with murderous anger. Also, Gabe (Cap. Universe) is toast. By the very nature of the Uni-powers, if you're not a marvel "name" already, they aren't going to save your life. I can also see Mantis dying, since she'll just get resurrected eventually anyway.

Pretty much, as long as it isn't Rocket, I'm cool.

But, the real question is...who is the traitor (cause you know there's gotta be one)?

CalvinPitt said...

jason: Dang, I was figuring that many of them would bite it. Then again, only Charles Bronson actually survived the original Dirty Dozen, didn't he (not counting Lee Marvin, since he wasn't one of the cons)?

I hadn't even considered the possibility of a traitor. Best money would seem to be on Deathcry, her being a SHi'ar that has no problems killing the Kree.