Tuesday, May 06, 2008

A Purchasing Question

{Just a short post tonight, as I try and figure out what possessed Albert Pujols to play at being Willie Mays Hayes from the end of Major League last night. He somehow scored from second base on a ground ball to the second baseman. I mean, what the hell? Remember kids, only ignore the "Stop" sign the third base coach puts up if you're really, really good.}

Recently, I've been thinking about my difficulty in getting back issues I've been searching, and the fact there's so many things I'm looking for, it might help to narrow the focus a little. To that end, I've been considering picking up some Essentials volumes, at some future time when I actually have money for that.

Here's the catch. While I'm perfectly fine with black and white art when it comes to manga, I tend to like my American comics with color art, a feature I understand is lacking in the Essentials. It's not that I don't think the comics will be readable without color, I just worry that since color was part of the comic when it was originally published, there'll be something lacking. It'll lose some effectiveness. Right now I'm considering The Defenders volumes, and maybe the Spectacular Spider-Man's.

I know there's some people out there familiar with the works in both color and black and white, so I figured I'd ask whether you think they really lose something being printed sans color (I ought to use the word sans more often).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the old X-Men comics first in essential trades, then from the "40 Years of X-Men" DVD. While the storytelling is compelling in B+W, I think I enjoyed it better with the color. Kind of a toss-up between reading it in books vs. computer, though.

Another good thing about the essentials is that they were / are available through my local library systems, which I appreciate.

-Blake

Seangreyson said...

I have to agree with Blake. I picked up the Essential X-men books myself and really enjoyed them at the time.

Later on I got to read through them in color from a friend's collection (then picked up the 40 years DVD), and now when I go back to the essentials it's just not the same.

I'd say, if you've never read the comics involved, or haven't read them in a while, or it's impossible to get the issues involved, the Essentials are worth it. Otherwise read them in color.

CalvinPitt said...

blake and sean: Thanks to both of you for your input. Much appreciated.