Friday, September 05, 2008

What I Bought 9/5/08

Comics were there today. And there was much rejoicing. Of course, it was a small week for me, so I probably didn't rejoice as much as some others, but one can not demand more happiness, one can only accept what happiness appears before them. Or something equally deep.

The Punisher #61- On the cover, anyone have any idea as to the significance of the skull emblem on Frank's shirt having a crack in it? It's a fairly standard Punisher story, with there being people committing crimes, and innocent folk suffering as a result, and Frank Castle getting involved. Curiously, Hurwitz opts not to have Frank deal with any random lawbreakers during the issue, instead detailing his competence through noticing the person following him, and how Frank strings him along. It demonstrates the awareness and attention to detail that helps him do what he does.

Hurwitz' Punisher is more preoccupied with his family than Ennis' was. He's either less willing, or less successful at burying their memory. The use of profanity in the last line felt oddly forced. Actually, it mostly felt odd that Frank said it out loud, as it seemed more something he'd think to himself. I think it's just a difference in writing style I need to adjust to. Campbell's art is sort of hard-edged, lots of deep shadows, with considerable use of outlines and varying light sources, that reveal only faint details. The exception is the first scene, with the girl's birthday, where it's brighter, happier, and people are more smooth-faced. The good times, before the descent into the Punisher's world. I think it's going for a noir feeling, which could work if Hurwitz makes Frank digging into what's going on a critical part of the story. Cautiously optimistic.

Secret Six #1 - I really like the curling smoke effect on the cover. It makes it vaguely trippy somehow, making me think of '60s Steranko covers. As to the story, Scandal is throwing up a lot, depressed over Knockout's death, and Catman is worried about whether he needs to change his life. Deadshot is predictably unsympathetic They have a job to get a person cross-country, but are going to be pursued by agents of some being that never leaves it's crate. OK, that's kind of weird. And Batman is trying to use the Six somehow or the other.

It's a good first issue, for my money. Gives us a clue to the mind sets of the principal characters, made me chuckle a bit, introduced an intriguing bad guy, hinted at something much larger even beyond that. I think Nicola Scott is my kind of artist. Things are relatively clear, the faces are expressive, Ragdoll looks sutiably freaky, it's all good. Consider me on board for the time being.

I'd try and say more, but I really must fly. Adorable Baby Panda, and an annoucement, tomorrow. Do try and control yourselves.

No comments: