Sunday, September 28, 2008

What Was Calculator's Percentage?

I think because I was thinking about Suicide Squad, I started thinking about Captain Boomerang recently, and that lead me to his rather ignominious end in Identity Crisis. It's not so much his end I'm concerned with, but more the thing with his son.

I only owned part of Identity Crisis when it came out, and I'm fairly certain what I had was one of the first things I jettisoned when I tried clearing some detritus from my collection a few years ago, so I'm not entirely clear on whether what's bothering me was actually covered.

Calculator is the one who told Boomerbutt he had a son, correct? I recall Boomer frequently contacting Calculator, looking for work, and instead being asked whether he'd talked to his kid yet, with Boomerang replying he hadn't, and Calculator basically insisting he do so, then maybe they'd discuss business. So I'm wondering, what did Calculator care? It seems to have been of some importance to him, but I can't discern why. Was it just a way of getting his jollies, or trying to keep Boomerang distracted, so that he doesn't have to come right out and say, "I have no work for you, because you look washed up*."

* Was he like that prior to Identity Crisis? I vaguely remember someone online saying they were displeased that Meltzer chose Boomerang to be the one he portrays as a washout, but I can't remember for certain. His Wikipedia entry mentions getting Jokerized in Last Laugh, and dying in a bid by Neron in what I'm guessing was Underworld Unleashed, but those things don't seem to suggest the fellow we saw in Identity Crisis.

6 comments:

Seangreyson said...

It's been a while since I read Identity Crisis (read it at a Borders so I don't have anything to refer back to). However I got the impression that Calculator considered himself something of Boomerang's friend and so was trying to offer advice. Of course my DC knowledge is small enough that I may have misread it.

On an unrelated note (but conncected to previous posts), Marvel Digital Comics has Rocket Raccoon #1 up as one of its free samples at the moment if anyone wanted to check out an early issue with the Annhilation character.

SallyP said...

All I know is that poor old Boomer seemed to get old awfully fast. He didn't look that flabby and ancient in Suicide Squad, that's for sure.

Marc Burkhardt said...

My impression is that just like Meltzer's Catman, Boomerang ended up old and in the way as soon as the "acclaimed" author got ahold of the poor fellow.

CalvinPitt said...

seangreyson: I don't think the idea that Calculator would actual care about Boomerang ever occurred to me. I actually kind of like that, and it would go along with the scenes Meltzer had of villains hanging out together, playing cards and shooting the breeze, just like the heroes and everyday people do.

sallyp: Well, I imagine that having to constantly avoid getting killed by teammates he'd irritated (like Deadshot) does wonders for one's figure.

fortress keeper: Hmm, then Meltzer is Old Age personified! Which means Gail Simone must be Youth personified, if Catman's turnaround is any indication.

SallyP said...

Mmmmmmmm...Catman.

*drool*

Author said...

Thanks for the post..

percentage calculator