Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I Am Concerned

Scrolled through Marvel and DC's solicitations for May.

Worryingly, Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy are absent, least as far as I can tell. This makes me think they've been canceled. I know their sales were getting close to the level where Marvel tends to kill books, but I'd hoped they were still high enough to be OK. Maybe they're both just taking the month off? Yeah, I'm sure that's all it is. Sure, that's all.

Dang, now I'm depressed. I'd be angry, tossing expletives left and right, except I'm not sure the titles are actually done. The hope keeps me from acting the fool. Well, acting the fool in that manner, anyway. Still, it's not as thought my pull list was all that large before this, and I'm not seeing much that piques my interest* to replace books that end.

Perhaps they'll try a relaunch in a couple of months, thought I can't see that having much effect. If anthologies did better, I'd suggest just going for one big monthly comic, with lots of cosmic-themed stories for 5 bucks, or whatever. Similar to those 96-pagers Marvel puts out occasionally, like Amazing Spider-Man #600, or Deadpool #900. Except those were special events, and Marvel/DC readers aren't be big fans of that format on a monthly basis.

Oh well, life as a comic fan sucks sometimes. Let's end with a happy comment. I'm happy to see the Showcase Suicide Squad trade is back again, provided DC doesn't yank it like they did last time they solicited it. That was bullcrap, got my hopes up for nothing.

Hmm, not quite as happy as I'd like.

* Marvel's not helping with the all first issues are 4 bucks policy. I have to be sure I want to buy the book ahead of time for that not to serve as a deterrent. If I'm on the fence, that's a push away.

2 comments:

snell said...

Don't panic...may features THE THANOS IMPERATIVE: IGNITION #1 by Abnet & Lanning, which leads me to suspect Nova & Guardians are just on a one-month pause as the next Cosmic Event launches.

CalvinPitt said...

snell: I really hope you're right about that.