Sunday, February 14, 2010

I Still Hate Losing At Board Games

Last night the crew I work with had a get-together. The social butterflies of the group feel we should have more big dinners/potlucks for the bonding experience. I had thought last year's crew bonded well simply by griping about work as we passed in the hallways, which is how normal people do it, but no, that will not be sufficient. So food and games it is.

The food was good (fortunately, the social folks are also good cooks), and we played Cranium, which I hadn't played. It's several games all crammed into one, which should keep the challenges fresh. Except people seemed terrified of the red (knowledge) and yellow cards (grammatical), so there was a lot of "Guess who I am?", or "What am I sculpting out of clay?", or "Guess this song I'm humming?" The song stuff is terribly frustrating. Try whistling the three lines you know from "Billie Jean" over and over again for a minute, only to receive clueless shrugs from your teammates, while people from all the other teams are saying "Oh, I got it".

Maybe this was due to the number of people involved (14 spread over 4 teams), but I didn't like the Club Craniums, where all the teams can compete in the same challenge. It felt like chaos, how can you tell which of the two teams arrived at the answer first? You'd need one person to not play, and serve as referee instead, which wouldn't seem to be much fun for that person.

No comments: