Monday, March 15, 2010

I Can't Help But Be Somewhat Bummed Out By This

Turns out Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray, and Amanda Conner are leaving Power Girl after issue #12. This is not happy news. I haven't read anything which names the creative team yet, but fingers crossed, they can maintain the tone of the book. Or, failing that, their take will be equally entertaining, but in a different way.

Attempts at positive attitude aside, I'm still disappointed. Power Girl was one of three titles whose place on my pull list was completely secure* with its creative team. Every issue had something entertaining, whether it was a funny line, a some nice superheroics, or just the usual interesting backgrounds Conner would draw. It isn't one of the books that, when it arrives, I'm hopeful it'll be good, but worried I'll be bored or displeased with. I'm excited when Power Girl shows up.

I'm not giving up on the book, mind you. Well, if the creative team is composed of people whose work I have never enjoyed I might, but even then I'm inclined to give them a chance. I stayed with The Punisher for three issues post-Garth Ennis, and normally I wait to see how the first arc for the new team plays out before making a decision. Hopefully whoever the new folks are, I like what they do. I'd like to keep buying and enjoying the book for as long as I can.

* The other two being Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova. This assumes Snell was right - and I hope he is - and those titles are just taking May off as Abnett and Lanning gear up for their next cosmic hoedown.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

I'm quite fond of Power Girl, and so I am quite devastated by the departure of the entire creative team. I think that they COULD come up with some very talented people to take over...but will they?

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Perhaps we should visit churches and lights candles in the hopes the new team is also good.