Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Again With The Pointless Questions

I'll be off visiting friends starting just as soon as I can tomorrow, so more than likely, there will be no posting until Monday. I'll leave you to ponder this, a question I posed to Alex in response to a question of his (which I posed to you last December).

If you had a choice between being a fabulous dancer and a horrible singer, or a fabulous singer and a horrible dancer, which would you choose? When I say "fabulous", you are possibly the best in the world. There's no dance you can't dance flawlessly, no song you can't sing perfectly. Your movements will draw appreciative glances from all around, your voice will make people fall to their knees and weep with joy.

Conversely, by "horrible", you are possibly the worst in the world. You have three left feet, all wearing right shoes with greased soles, and you're drunk. People will run screaming as if you were a starved Tasmanian Devil. Not only can you not hit the right note, you can't hit in the same area code as the right note. Babies will sharpen their spoons in an attempt to gouge out their ears.

OK, I'm overstating it. You'll be really good at one, and really bad at the other. I'll leave it to you to explain how you're so magnificent at your choice. I went with being an excellent dancer. I figure I'm already a poor singer, but that doesn't stop me from singing along to my CDs in the car. So I would simply restrict my singing to moments when I'm alone. If I'm an excellent dancer, then my balance, flexibility, agility, and coordination are all considerably better than they are in real life, so that presumably would carryover into other parts of my life*. I suppose if my voice is that bad it precludes a life involving public speaking, but I don't consider that much of a loss.

I don't remember what Alex chose, if I remember to ask him, I'll add his answer to the post. In the meantime, you give it some thought, and let me know what you'd choose in the comments, and I'll probably talk to you on Monday.

* I probably wouldn't trip over rocks and tree limbs while tromping up and down hills as part of my job, for one thing.

2 comments:

Seangreyson said...

I think I'd go with Singer. Dancing might be more fun at times, but Singing really separates you from the pack.

SallyP said...

I'll go with great singer and horrible dancer. I'm a fairly decent singer already, and a pretty terrible dancer, so I'm sticking with my strengths. Plus music is just more important. But I appreciate dancing in OTHER people.