Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Subconscious Needs To Stop Teasing Me

You ever have dreams where you see or hear something that seems really intriguing? Like that episode of The Simpsons where Homer needs money, and he has a dream where he invented some revolutionary device that would make him millions, but he never gets a chance to see what it is, or what it does.

Last night, among other things, I dreamt I was reading a post discussing something about changes in writing in comics from the '80s to now. In the post, there was a graphic novel used as an example of the older style called Domino: Heart of Arclight, with a cover that looked drawn by Tim Sale*.

I have no idea what the story was about, though the gist of the post's text suggests it was a typical sort of '80s story, with a focus on current issues, but not handled in a particularly subtle manner**. Still, I want to know. If I had somehow managed to make the image on the screen into a tangible copy and opened it, what would it have been about? A love story? A tale of morality, difficulties in choosing between good and evil (since Arclight was a member of Mr. Sinister's Marauders back in the day)? Maybe it would be a quest story. I really have no idea, but it's frustrating.

There was a dream a couple of weeks ago where at the end Alex and I were watching a musical with his parents, and I think the song may have been something I came up with. It wasn't great (not much lyrical variety, as I recall), but better than I'd expect for someone as tone deaf as myself. How about you?

* Doesn't make much sense, as Domino didn't exist until the '90s, and I just now learned by looking it up that Tim Sale was drawing comics in the '80s. As far as I know that I knew, he started in the '90s. The reason I think it was him was the style for Domino's face reminded me of some work of his I saw in Spider-Man: Blue.

** From which I infer my subconscious thinks such things are discussed with more depth and less broad strokes today. I'm not sure my subconscious is right in its assessment.

No comments: