Thursday, February 10, 2011

I Need My Arcade Fix People

I still haven't gone to get comics. It decided to snow yesterday morning. I was jogging and the roads looked fine at first, but the longer I jogged, the harder it snowed, and the worse the roads got. Moral of the story: Jogging makes bad weather happen. I should never have put that piece of Mjolnir I swiped from that guy's car horn in my shoes. I don't think the road's have been cleared completely yet, and it doesn't seem worth risking it. Maybe all that time in the boonies only getting comics every three weeks taught me patience.

I had wondered why I hadn't seen the Arcade: Death Game mini-series listed in the new releases yet this month, and it turns out it was canceled, and it'll be released in May as Avengers Academy Giant-Size. Which is kind of annoying. It's still coming out, but I have to wait a few more months, and I was looking forward to an Arcade story. He has his crazy charm, and his particular style means a creative team ought to have some fun with the death traps he concocts. On the up side, it'll turn out a little cheaper as a one-shot than it would have been as a three issue mini-series.

I wonder how differently it'll read as a one-shot, though. One thing I'd expect with the mini-series format is there'd be cliffhangers at the end of either issue 1 or 2, if not both. Cliffhangers don't work for me in a collected format because I tend to read really quickly so by the time I register the cliffhanger I'm already turning the page and there's the resolution. With the separate issues format, I reach the end of the issue, then I have to wait a month (or two weeks) for the next issue. It ramps up my excitement because I don't have the next part there with me, and I want it.

Admittedly, that only works for the first read-through. After that I have all the parts, and can read them consecutively, so it's no different from reading the story as a trade or one-shot in that sense, but then I can appreciate different things about the story I didn't reading it piecemeal.

No comments: