Friday, February 11, 2011

The Snow's Receded, So I Went

I did buy my comics today, I'll get to those tomorrow. Jack had The Expendables playing when I came in, so I saw part of that, starting about where Dolph Lundgren tries to kill Jet Li. It didn't hold my attention as long as I'd thought it might. After the automatic shotgun came into play was where I started flipping through my books instead. Maybe it needed more witty one-liners, but all the shooting, explosions, and people getting entire limbs taken off by a single swing of a knife blurred together. I guess it was a sound decision on my part resolving to not pay actual money to see it.

One of the other fellows in the shop had the animated Superman/Captain Marvel (or Shazam, whichever) movie with him, so that got thrown in next. The main feature wasn't bad, though the guy who brought it in thought Black Adam sounded Russian. The flick mostly had me reflecting on the rather messed up state of the Marvel family these days, at least in the main DC Universe.

There were at least two other short features included on the disc. I thought The Spectre was pretty good, though making that guy's seat belt disappear just before his car crashed seemed like a bit of a dick move even for the Spectre. I thought, geez, if you wanted to kill him with blunt impact trauma, why not make the road into a wall, rather than a ramp? It turned he did it because he wanted the guy outside the car so he could then send the car after him, Christine-style. One of the fellows watching thought The Spectre would make a good live-action film, but I'm not sure the sort of elaborate, terrifying, and appropriate deaths the Spectre favors would translate well in live action. Do you think it could work?

I was planning to leave by the time Green Arrow started, but ended up staying around long enough to see it. If you like seeing Ollie have a hard time of it, this would probably be up your alley. There's even a Suicide Squad alumnus in there, though not quite sporting his usual outfit.

No comments: