Friday, May 17, 2013

A May Look At The June Previews Of The August Releases

The solicits for August releases are out, and there's a little good news, a little bad news, and a few things that are exasperating.

- Good news, the second issue of Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur was listed. Hopefully this signals things will remain on schedule for the rest of the mini-series.

- Bad news, August brings the last issue of Angel & Faith. Not at all sure how that's going to play out. Hopefully it'll involve some messy and painful death for Whistler, and if Angel finally got to make the big heroic sacrifice he seems so fond of (yet always manages to dodge somehow), that'd be fine with me.

 - Good news, Captain Marvel's going to run through at least September. I know this because it's doing a two-part tie-in to Infinity, whatever that is. The tie-in aspect might be bad news. As to Infinity. . .

- So Marvel hasn't even wrapped up Age of Ultron yet, and they're already doing the next big thing? They used to at least wait six months or so before jumping to the next one. Never thought I'd miss the (relative) patience they showed with The Initiative and Dark Reign.

 - Then there's this Hunger thing. Are they bringing back that extrauniversal blob thing Starlin introduced in his Thanos run? Or is this some deal where Galactus is hungrier than ever? Could he try filling up on bread?

- More bad news, Dial H is ending. It's not exactly a surprise, I pretty much figured it was on borrowed time the moment it arrived, but I'm still disappointed to see it go. I hoped it would be a surprise hit.

- Between that and A&F, I'll be down two ongoing series for September. I suppose there's always a chance DC will start up something new I'd want to read, but it's not a good chance. They'll most likely add more Bat books, or something Lantern related, and I'm not even going to spare those a second glance. Well, maybe if Mieville's writing one of them, but I doubt that's happening. He'd probably not enjoy the heavy editorial hand DC's wielding these days, and I can't see them easing off if they gave him the reins on their two successful properties right now.

- They list Romita Jr. as doing the art and cover for Captain America #10. Unless Romita seriously shifted his style, I'm pretty sure that's Simone Bianchi. The file for the image even says "Simone", so I don't know. I've never really cared for Bianchi's work myself. Too busy, everyone's too lumpy, not appealing to me at all.

- OK, so the Scarlet Spider (that'd be Kaine), is about to run afoul of Ben Reilly? Nobody told me Ben Reilly was back! Internet, be ashamed of yourself.

No comments: