Thursday, May 02, 2013

At Least Wake's Problems Didn't Stop Deerfest

I beat Alan Wake again last week, this time on my 360. Knowing what was coming made a difference. I rarely felt overwhelmed this time, except when it came to the Taken with super-speed. I don't recall having that much trouble with them the first time, but maybe they seem more difficult in comparison to how smoothly everything else was going.

One thing that helped was I stopped saving my best weapons. The first time I beat it, I tended to rely heavily on the revolver. I kept expect major boss fights where I'd really need the shotgun or flare gun, so I'd hold them back. Then, of course, Alan would fall off a cliff, out of a helicopter, or just leave all his weapons somewhere else, and I'd be left starting from scratch. Keeping Wake's clumsiness in mind, this time I busted out the heavier artillery every chance I had. Why not? I can't carry it over to the next chapter*.

Because I didn't feel the need to be as vigilant when tromping through the woods, I could pay more attention to Alan's narration or dialogue. That wasn't a bonus. The FBI agent in particular, with his need to constantly refer to Wake by the names of other writers. Wake was complaining about the major revisions the Lady was making to the story he was writing, but if that's an indication of his writing, I'd say he needs all the editing he can get. No wonder he hadn't written anything for two years.

I do enjoy all the scenes where Alan and his pal, Barry, are together. Barry's motormouth bluster and wild overreactions play off Alan's anger and dour attitude well. The part where they get wasted at the old rockers' farm was highly entertaining.

Alan (slurring): 'If I wanted, I could write ten books a year. And they'd all be the best books ever.'
Barry (also slurring): 'No you couldn't.'
Alan: 'No, I couldn't. But I could, 'cause I'm a writer.'

I think as someone who doesn't drink, I take too much joy in the stupid things people say when they do drink.

* It seems odd that this whole thing is a story Alan's writing, but they different parts are referred to in-game as "episodes", rather than "chapters". Was he already thinking of turning it into some TV mini-series on AMC?

No comments: