Wednesday, February 28, 2018

A Not-So Fresh Start

The May solicitations bring yet another ultimately futile rebranding attempt from Marvel, "Fresh Start". Oh goody. And this fresh start is going to involve a bunch of tie-in mini-series about looking for Infinity Gems and/or Wolverine! Hooray! Also, Bendis is wrapping up his time on Iron Man and with Miles Morales, Dan Slott's getting ready to stop writing Spider-Man, and Gerry Duggan's ending his stint on Deadpool.

Maybe the actual fresh start begins in June. In the meanwhile, there isn't a hell of a lot on their plate I'm interested in. Maybe I'll still be giving Domino a go, and maybe I'm going to try the Darkhawk mini-series they're releasing (even though it's an Infinity Countdown tie-in). I'm not familiar with Gang-Hyuk Lim's artwork; a quick Internet search pulled up a few things that don't look bad, but we'll see.

DC is somehow still spinning things out of that Metal event. I feel like that thing has been going for a thousand years now. I had the same reaction a few years back when they had that Trinity War story, which then ran directly into that Forever Evil thing (where Dick Grayson go unmasked, so he became a spy for a while instead). At a certain point it becomes, 'Holy shit, is this thing still going?' DC drags it out, while Marvel runs around like a blinded meth addict, just crashing into trees.

So just Cave Carson from DC, then.

OK, if those two are largely busts, what about the other publishers? High School Hell and Mata Hari are both wrapping up. Still no sign of The Seeds anywhere. Giant Days continues to chug along and the girls continue to get cold feet about going their separate ways as roomies.

Copperhead's back, and so is original artist and co-creator Scott Godlewski! Things are looking up, finally. I'm hoping this next arc ramps the weird stuff up a bit, if only for a change of pace. Throw something outside the character's experience at them.

They finally posted a cover for the Bubba Ho-Tep mini-series, and based on it, I'm really starting to think this whole thing is some drug trip going on inside Elvis' mind. But maybe that's the only way to get at Cosmic Blood Suckers. Hopefully the series makes more sense once I'm actually able to read it.

The only other thing that interested me was Coda, a 12-issue series by Si Spurrier and Matias Bergara. Spurrier wrote Spire, a different mini-series I bought in back issues in 2016 I think, as well as that Marvel Zombies Secret Wars mini-series I enjoyed back in 2015*. Anyway, Spire was very good, and a bit of a fantasy setting, so that bodes well. And it seems to be a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting. I am a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories, or maybe survivalist stories is a better description, even though I often feel let down when they don't go the direction I want them to. But those disappointments were written by other people, no reason to hold it against Spurrier. I don't know Bergara's artwork, but he drew the cover and that looks pretty cool. The color work is nice too, a good contrast. So that's one new entrant at least.

* I think he's also writing a Star Wars book with Kieron Gillen right now, but if John Ostrander couldn't get me to read Star Wars comics, Spurrier is shit outta luck on that score.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

You know...if Marvel and SC would maybe cut back on the never-ending mega crossovers, that Change Everything!!...then perhaps they wouldn't have to keep hitting the re-set button all the tome.

CalvinPitt said...

Yeah, they're like a kid trying to figure out one of those fast food restaurant place mat mazes. Let's go this way! Darn, dead end. OK, back up and go thatta way. Damn, dead end. OK, back up. . .

Just endlessly charging headlong into walls.