Monday, December 02, 2019

Second Month, Much Like The First

February is not looking much more promising than January.

At Marvel, I'll pretty much be down to Deadpool (fighting Kraven), and Black Cat (trying to steal from Logan), plus Gerry Duggan and Ron Garney are doing a noir one-shot with the Thing called Grimm Noir. Yeah, I'll try that.

Other than that, Wolverine is getting another ongoing, but it's going to be playing off whatever Hickman is doing with the X-Books, so hard pass. Someone at Marvel decided letting Matthew Rosenberg write Force Works 2020 was a good idea. Well, if it keeps him from writing anything I might have interest in, good. There's a bunch of character-focused mini-series starting up, from Ant-Man, Conan, Nebula, and *yawn* Gwen Stacy. Marvel, you haven't managed to make me give a shit about Gwen Stacy in over all your years of trying (outside of Ultimate Spider-Man, where Gwen was much closer to Mary Jane than Marvel Universe Gwen Stacy). Stop trying.

DC had a Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey mini-series. This is distinct from the Birds of Prey thing Azzarello's writing. The Flash's numbering is going to go from 750 one issue, then back to 88 the next. It would be nice if DC wouldn't copy the stupidest ideas Marvel has.

I am actually considering the Amy Reeder written and drawn Amethyst series. I generally enjoyed my back issue dive into the '80s Amethyst stuff, and with any luck, this will kind of be its own thing, where I won't have to care about the larger DC Universe.

Outside that, there isn't much. Sera and the Royal Stars will be back, so it's not done yet. Kino's Journey volume 5 is coming out from Vertical Press. I've only bought up through volume 2, so I'm still behind, but I'll get to it eventually. It looks like Infinity 8 is now being published through Magnetic Press, so I'll hopefully still be able to get the third part of volume 6 when it comes out in January. February will see the release of the trade if the first option falls through.

Michael Avon Oeming is doing a quarterly fantasy series called After Realm, published by Image. It's $6 an issue, but again, only quarterly. There's the question of how into swords and sorcery stuff I am, and I don't know Taki Soma's artwork, but it's at least on my radar. There were also the tpbs of Analog, which I think I was curious about when it first came out. The main character seems to be mainly a courier, once you set aside the conceit that the Internet is gone and everything has to be sent physically, but I'm guessing there's something more to it than that.

Scout Comics has the first issue of a series called Canopus, by Dave Chisholm, about a woman who wakes on a planet far from Earth, unsure how she got there, but feeling she has to get back, now. That seems like it's worth a shot.

No comments: