Monday, December 30, 2019

Things Might Improve As Spring Arrives

The March solicitations look a little more promising than the previous two months, low bar to clear that is. It's most focused on smaller publishers, though, as I didn't see much of anything at Marvel or DC that was new I wanted to try.

There wasn't a new issue of Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage listed, so there goes my theory it was an every other month book. It turns out Amethyst is a 6-issue mini-series, which I'm pretty sure was not indicated in last month's solicits. I don't if they saw the orders and changed plans, or it was always a misleading solicit.

Marvel has a new Spider-Woman series on the way, but the new costume they gave Jessica Drew looks awful. Al Ewing appears to be creating a West Coast Avengers branch for the Guardians of the Galaxy, including Blackjack O'Hare, if that's a thing you're into. Gerardo Sandoval's taking over art chores on Deadpool for at least one issue (but probably longer than that). And Marvel's starting up Outlawed, yet another event mini-series where superheroes bicker over legislation. I know it isn't fair to prejudge Eve Ewing's efforts simply because Millar and Bendis wrote shitty, stupid, boring stories about that kind of stuff, but I'm just sick of this kind of nonsense.

But I think I will actually start buying Runaways with issue 31, and there's still Black Cat, so that's something.

Outside those two publishers, there's the start of the 7th part of Infinity 8, issue 2 of Canopus (if I like the first issue), and issue #7 of Sera and the Royal Stars. The biggest new thing is John Allison and Max Sarin are collaborating on a new series called Wicked Things, about Charlotte Grote (who described herself in Giant Days as 'Esther concentrated') solving mysteries. Look, the book could be about most anything, even Cyclops and Jean Grey, and I'd buy it because Allison and Sarin were the creative team.

There's also a series called Red Range Beneath Falling Sky, by Keith Lansdale and Jok (who I assume is different from Jock, who I remember doing a lot of covers for DC at some point). Looks like gunslingers in a prehistoric world beneath the Earth's surface kind of thing. Which might work, or it might not, but I can spare the money to try the first issue and find out.


No comments: