Wednesday, August 28, 2024

A November Surprise

November's solicitations didn't hold many new things that caught my eye, but there were a couple, including one in particular.

What's new that's coming out? I have told myself I'm going to ignore Venom War, but Kelly Thompson and Gurihiru are doing an It's Jeff! one-shot tie-in, and I'm sorely tempted.

Oni Press has the first issue of Calvera PI, a 4-issue mini-series about a guy revived from the dead to help solve a kidnapping, and maybe his own murder. It's written and drawn by Marco Finnegan, who was co-writer on Morning Star, which is not a ringing endorsement, but I might give him a second chance.

At Bay Press has Forgotten Frontier, a graphic novel by Tristan Jones and Alexander Bumbulut about presenting a more clear-eyed view and accurate view of the American West. On the one hand, it could feel like attending a history lecture. On the other, I enjoy learning new stuff about history.

That's all very well and good, but the one that really surprised me is that DC solicited a new Cassandra Cain Batgirl ongoing, by Tate Brombul and Takeshi Miyazawa. It only took a solid year, but DC finally put out something I want to buy. Will I enjoy this? It seems like it's going to focus on Cass' relationship with her mother, at least early on. Which is fair, Cass' first series was heavily focused on her and David Cain, but I tend to prefer when the character explores who she is independent of the parents whose philosophies she rejected. Guess I'll see in a few months.

What's ending? Nothing, really. Maybe next month.

And all the rest: Werewolf by Night, Babs, Red Before Black and The Pedestrian will all be on issue 4. Dazzler, Avengers Assemble, Loop and Body Trade are on their third issues. Marvel also solicited the 4th issue of Avengers Assemble, but it doesn't arrive in stores until December. Loop's first issue didn't actually show up this month, so hopefully the creators haven't landed on another dud of a publisher.

Rogues is up to issue 5, Deadpool to issue 8, and Moon Knight: Fist of Khonshu is on issue 2. I didn't see Fantastic Four anywhere, which is strange. They didn't solicit two issues last month, and I don't remember anything about that being the last issue.

2 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

Oni is still going? I thought they'd gone under a couple of years ago. Huh.

CalvinPitt said...

They and Lion's Forge (who published those Infinity 8 comics I bought for a few years) merged a couple years ago, so it was probably a close thing.

Although their monthly output is ~60% Rick & Morty comics, so it may just be the body hasn't cooled yet.