Tuesday, April 11, 2006

It's Two Kinds of Geekiness, That Go Great Together!

Comic trading cards are awesome. For me it was a combination of two things I enjoyed: baseball cards and comic books.

With baseball cards, the fact you can get your favorite team's entire roster, see all their stats, see every team they've ever played for, it helped to make the history of the sport more real.

But trading cards for comic book characters, with a system for gauging their relative strengths? Holy crap, I am freaking out! Lots of good times, especially in fifth and sixth grade, when everyone I knew was collecting, which meant lots of trading. Just want to share a few memories.

- I still find it hard to believe that Cosmic Powered Spider-Man lost six fights out of 27. Are they counting his battles with Graviton and Trapster before the powers kicked in (Marvel Universe Series 2)?

- That I traded three cards, including my only Ghost Rider to get a Spider-Man from Marvel Series 3. Until I bought the complete set on Sunday, I'd never gotten that Ghost Rider again. *Sniff* I missed you, Dan Ketch.

- I think I might be the only person to utter that last sentence.

- That Marvel Universe Series 4 had that set-up where every nine cards formed some larger picture when you put them together (like the picture here, from the Mark Bagley Spider-Man set). That was the coolest thing ever.

- The nine-cards-make-a-bigger-picture thing, not the Bagley series. Of course, the Bagley series was pretty awesome too.

- That I had a complete Marvel Universe Series 4, and then somehow lost over 60% of it. Damn it.

- That I still have my Spider-Man vs. Venom 3-D hologram card from that series. 1 in every 180 packs, and I came up with one? Crazy.

- That I got in hot water with my dad over the collecting once. He gave me $20, but said 'I want $15 back", except I spent $15. He was not pleased. With anyone else, I would have played the 'I can't hear in my right ear, you spoke into it, I misunderstood'. Unfortunately, that doesn't work when the person is aware of the condition and made sure to speak clearly to your good ear. Grounding followed.

- But come on, what parent gives their kid $20, then tells them they can't spend 3/4ths of it, then lets the kid run unsupervised to a store chock-full of stuff said child wants, and is then surprised when they get back less than the specified amount. Poor parenting, Dad.

- I hope this isn't the day he decides to read my blog.

Share your experiences. I know I can't be the only blogger out here who was into the trading card game.

3 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

"*Sniff* I missed you, Dan Ketch.... I think I might be the only person to utter that last sentence."

While Googling Ghost Rider recently - that's the sort of thing I do in my spare time, heh - I discovered a ton of people who wrote words similar to yours.

I don't get it myself. I grew up with Johnny Blaze and thought he was damn cool - jumpsuit and all.

CalvinPitt said...

I don't think I miss Dan Ketch, per se, simply that he was Ghost Rider at that time, and thus I would have to welcome him back along with GR.

Still, I'm cool with Johnny Blaze. I think his origin is much better than "touched enchanted gas cap".

Anonymous said...

comic cards were the coolest. i still have all my collections in a giant binder with "all my comic cards" scrawled on the cover. you're lucky with that series 4 foil card, too. i got molecule man...twice. but i think i did get a cool wolverine hologram card.