Thursday, April 06, 2006

Reflections #8 - New Excalibur #6

First off, Jake I will be all over this idea soon. I will warn you, there will be two, one each for DC and Marvel exclusively. Sorry, I just can't trust myself to combine them; it'd be 14 Marvels and 1 DC, and I want to try to be fair to the superhero-reading sect. The rest, can fark off. I just need to see some guys about creators.

I mentioned yesterday that I had a feeling the events of this issue, and the issues prior to this were going to tie-in with House of M and Onslaught Reborn, so I just kinda want to run with that theory.

Through the early part of the book, we have this recording being made by a teenager, a member of the 'Scarlet Knights'. He's talking about his life and family, and all the good they did until M-Day, when his entire family lost their powers and died, except him. Then he blows up a deserted train station. Seems mostly cut and dried, but there are a few things that don't jibe.

First, he described his getting powers through his 'mutator gene catalyzing', and this somehow activating it in his entire family. Even though I've noted the somewhat questionable basis for mutation in the Marvel Universe before, this sounds completely different from what I've heard before. Plus, the boy's uniform is kinda similar to Captain Britain of the Ultimate Universe.

Now add in a few other key factors: Black Tom is no longer a tree, he seems back to his normal "fleshy mutant who channels energy through a staff" self. How? The first threat the team faced was a group of "Dark X-Men", where the hell did they come from? That Albion fellow from #5 gives off an "alternate Captain Britain" thing. Dazzler appears to have died twice now, yet she seems likely to keep bouncing back, what's going on?

Look at the roster. You've got Juggernaut, who's spent time in other dimesnions more than once (Thor banished him one time, he and Nocturne wound up in the Mojo-verse another time). You've got Nocturne, who in addition to the Mojo trip, was a member of the Exiles, and isn't from this reality. Dazzler spent years in the Mojo-verse. Captain Britain is just one of I don't know how many of his kind spread throughout the various universes, and has gotten mixed up in more than a few dimension-hopping jaunts back in the original Excaliber. Throw it all together, and it screams "Multiverse Foul-Up!"

I'm thinking Wanda's little 'No more mutants' stunt crossed universal borders, and may have fundamentally altered the past as they knew it. . . again. Because I can't recall having ever heard of these Scarlet Knights before, but this issue makes it sound like they were an established factor in the world. They probably weren't of this world originally, just got transferred in and everyone remembers them as having always been there somehow. At the same time, both Xavier and Magneto have lost their mutant abilities, and well, you remember how Hank Pym said all that energy the mutants lost had to go somewhere? Guess where I'm betting that pair's powers are going to wind up at?

Hmm, I seem to be equating "No more mutants" with "Superboy-Prime punched the walls of reality", so I may just be paranoid. Doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Anyway, that's where I think Marvel is going. Personally, I think they'd be better off tying it in with Proteus' jaunts through all the different realities in Exiles. Of course, I'm the guy who said that Jamie Braddock or the Sentry would have made a better House of M villain than Wanda, so take that for what it's worth.

Just wanted to toss this out here.

No comments: