Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What I Bought 4/26/06

This seemed like a very big week for comics, for me, and in general. I think it's because lately DC has seemed kind of subdued, maybe because a bunch of books are late, and others were delayed because of those late books. And now stuff is catching up. Or not. Whatever. I skimmed Astonishing X-Men (ugh, Scott Summers angst), Ultimate Fantastic Four (ha, clobberin' time), Villains United Special (if I were Catman, I wouldn't be so cocky about daring either side to come after you, based on Dr. Psycho's "pet", because they don't have nearly enough firepower to stop it), Sentry (damn, he's not dead), and Wolverine (not bad, but I swore off that title, and off I shall stay). On the other hand, I did buy one thing I said I wouldn't, and one I'm not sure I should've. Let's get started, spoiler warnings as always.

Ion #1 - Would you believe this is only the second time I've picked up a solo book, where the star is Kyle Rayner? I guess I just really liked him in JLA. As for this? Uh, not so much. First off, I don't like the art. It's OK for "Kyle", but it can't figure out what the hell is going on half the time when "Ion" is throwing green energy around. Part of the fun of Kyle Rayner having this power is seeing what he makes with it. For that, we need coherent artwork.

As for the story, well some nice groundwork is laid. People are dead, something that looks and acts like Ion trashes some Lanterns including one that looks like a cross of the Spectre and Deadman. Kyle's trying to work on his art, with annoying criticisms from the head of the retreat. Seriously, why does Kyle need to decide whether the light is standing out in the darkness, or being swallowed by it?

A future love interest is possibly hinted at, though even Kyle is smart enough to recognize he should probaby keep her distance. And someone comes looking to hit Kyle on the noggin, and even brought an appropriate instrument. Oh yeah, and the Guardians are being needlessly vague. I can't say I'll pick up issue #2, but that may be because, to paraphrase the leader of the retreat, I don't know what I wanted from this book, and this issue gave me no indication as to whether I'll like what I will get. So, 3 out of 5.

New Avengers Annual - I said I wouldn't buy this, yet I did. Strangely, I enjoyed it. As the cover suggests, Jessica Jones accepts Luke's marriage proposal, while all the ladies are cooing over their baby, and Peter is having palpitations that MJ might want to try again (might want to have someone off Norman Osborn first, just a suggestion Pete). And Jessica Drew doesn't like babies. This combined with the revelation in Warbird #1 that she smokes, confirms she is clearly, still evil. In the interests of disclosure, I don't like babies either, but I don't smoke, so I'm less evil. And lack chest implants.

Anyway, a plot thread from an earlier arc shows up on the scene, looking to trash the New Avengers. Hooray! And it's quite powerful, so it does succeed in smacking them around a bit. Hooray! But wait, are the New Avengers using teamwork to protect innocent lives? Are they acting like they've worked together in ensuring each other's safety? Are Peter Parker and Tony Stark using their brains to devise a means of defeating their really powerful enemy? Is the Sentry being useful? Is that Warbird? Holy crap! This doesn't suck! What the hell is going on here? I must be delirious from getting up a 5:30 this morning!

The art was weird, but I like the somewhat cartoony effects during the initial scenes. I would complain however, that Captain America is too, what's a delicate way to put this, thick. Cap's neck looks like it needs to be attached to those Rob Liefeld pecs, it's so large. It's not horribly out of proportion, but it makes you wonder how he could move as lightly as he does.

There was a lot I want to say about this book, but I'll save the rest for later. 4.2 out of 5.

Annihilation: Ronan #1 - Hmm, not so pleased with this. It had it's moments, that's for sure. I enjoyed seeing Ronan meet up with an old comrade, and find out what's going on with his life. Still Korath the Pursuer? Does that mean there's a Kree named Bolas the Imbiber? Just wondering.

So Ronan is no longer an Accuser, but he still has his gigantic hammer, and he still feels like butting his nose in wherever he pleases. Despite the dishonor he suffered from the Kree Council, he's still trying to help them out, while searching for the person who bore (false) witness against him at his trial. At least I assume it's false. He might have been doing what she said he was.

It seems like Annihilation is Marvel's chance to dust off all those characters we haven't seen since all those huge "Infinity (insert synonym for 'conflict') events back in the '90s. I can't be sure yet whether that's a good thing. I mean, Gamora, Nebula, Stellaris? Sadly, I actually remember Stellaris from a Thor comic I own. Eric Masterson gave up custody of his kid in that issue, and shared a hug with Hercules at the end. No, I'm not kidding.

This was weaker than the last two. Maybe too much focus on what happened earlier (the trial), and not enough on what Ronan was doing now (helping the Empire, clearing his name). Better than Silver Surfer, can't decide whether I buy #2 without question though. 3.7 out of 5.

X-Factor #6 - I love that cover. And Rictor yells at Layla. I'm forced to agree with Monet (damn); would you rather be dead, Ric? Anyway, Layla and Rahne talk, Layla gets taken back to an orphanage, and I tell you, that panel of the orphanage lady and the kids, saying how "happy" they are she's back, it was creepy. Probably the way the lady tilts her head as she smiles.

Meanwhile, Guido and Madrox decide to send a message to Singularity, about the dangers of messing with X-Factor. Honestly, I'm not sure how scared I'd be of 100 Madroxes; he really isn't terribly frightening looking. I'd probably laugh at the sheer surrealness of the sight, I do that sometimes. Guido in jogging shorts? That would terrify me.

I have to admit, when Rictor made his last little speech to Layla, I was a little shocked by it. "You're kidding, right?" I thought. Then I read the last book in my pile, and it made me wonder if he isn't right. Loved it. 5 out of 5.

Amazing Spider-Man #531 - Well, apparently we know who Titanium Man is. And we know who hired him. And that is why I don't think Rictor is crazy for being mistrustful of Layla. Spidey continues the battle with Iron Man, except he pauses to read the words on the Lincoln Monument. Real bright, Webs. "I'm fighting a guy in a high-tech powered suit, and I interfered with his plan to kill my boss. So I'll just ignore him." D'oh!

The battle continues. T-Man has the upper hand, but Spidey uses gl-, gl-, glider wings to save himself. T-Man regains upper hand, Spidey uses waldoes and surveilience equipment. I thought the waldoes were kind of fragile, but he can stab them through T-Man's armor, without breaking them? Huh. T-Man bails, because Russians are cowards - just ask the Nazis - and. . . what, I was joking! Russians are stalwarts, never say die, all that good stuff.

So T-Man provides what Tony Stark feels is some compelling evidence, and boy isn't that convenient? Peter makes a fool of himself in front of the committee. . . again. Tony plays mind games with Peter, and we seem to be up to Civil War #1. In spite of that, I had fun with this. I've accepted the costume - for now - we got super-battles, as well as talking heads. And it's funny to see someone ask T-Man to say "Moose and Squirrel". Yes Fearless Leader. 4.2 out of 5.

No comments: