Sunday, April 23, 2006

Reflections #14 - Wolverine Origins #1

My problem with this can be summed up thusly: it doesn't appear that it'll be what I want from a title designed to explore James' now remembered past.

Ideally for me, this book wouldn't tie into the present at all. It'd be a book of rotating authors. The authors can tell any story they want with James in some past setting, provided it doesn't violate established canon. By that I mean, it doesn't violate what was established by Paul Jenkins' Wolverine: Origin. So no James fighting as a Gaul against the Roman legions, because he wasn't alive yet.

But if Daniel Way wants him to be involved in the Greek resistance during World War 2, sure!

Peter David says he spent part of the 1950s in the Amazon, trying to get away from people and come to grips with all the lives he took in said Greek resistance? Why not?

Millar wants to tell the tale of James helping to build railroad across Australia in the 1910s? Fair game.

Basically, this title should be an opportunity to see all the crazy crap James got mixed up in from being alive in the last century, and being someone who seems to gravitate towards violence. Unfortunately, the first issue suggests it's going to be more of the same old we've come to expect from Wolverine titles: the ol' Canuckle-head trying to figure out who done him wrong and why.

Too bad. This seems like an opportunity to just let writers go nuts with the characters. we could find out that in the sixties, James was actually able to ingest enough mind-altering drugs to briefly become the greatest poet of the times. Then five days later, his healing factor fought the drugs off, and he went back to killing people.

3 comments:

Jim said...

I was going to buy this. I could've even had a free copy. But, what stopped me was, I looked at it. And it no longer appealed to me. Wolverine slashes through a bunch of people and in the end some idiot shows up that's going to kick his ass or at least try. Top that boring formula with the fact that a 6-clawed man feels the need to carry a sword and you've got, in my eyes, a comic not worth buying.

I also don't think that Steve Dillon's artwork is very ideal for a character that wears a mask all the time. I think his people look more real than that.

CalvinPitt said...

jim: yeah, I liked Dillon's art when he worked with Ennis on The Punisher, but something seemed wrong here, especially the way James' eyes were set in his head, relative to the mask.

I think I may be growing beyond enjoying Wolverine killing people. Except I still enjoy Frank Castle killing people. Huh.

Anonymous said...

My god, you've actually managed to pitch a potentially entertaining Wolverine series. How bizarre.

I'd say the biggest problem with Origin is that it's not, you know, new. This is what, the seventh issue of Daniel Way's storyline? It's thoroughly odd.

Plus Daniel Way isn't doing anything particularly interesting. If anyone doesn't need a sword, it's Wolverine. He can already cut stuff pretty well. He's famous for it.