Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Comic Movie Reviews #1

When I heard there was going to be a Punisher movie, the following thoughts ran throught my head:

"It's probably going to suck."
"John Travolta's in it? It's definitely going to suck."
"Wait, Travolta's the bad guy. The Punisher kills bad guys."
"Hmm, maybe this won't be so bad after all."

So I went to see it, and I was pretty happy with the experience. I certainly enjoyed it more than Kill Bill Vol. 2, which came out the same week. In fact, if there comes a day when it feels like they have to update the Punisher's origin, this would be a pretty good way to go; a guy with counter-terrorism experience, rather than Vietnam.

It sets the situation up well, certainly gives Frank his reason to go after Howard Saint's organization, and I think you see Frank sort of learning on the job. He gets in a car wreck, he gets beaten nearly to death by a huge Russian guy (more on him later), he drinks, which I think was to not only forget his family, but to distance himself from the things he had done. In a way, the movie was like Batman Begins: We see what starts the character on his path, and we watch him try to grow into the role he's taking on. Sure it wasn't as good, but that isn't entirely fair. Batman Begins had Morgan Freeman (someday I will discuss my Morgan Freeman Corollary).

If there is one thing I like in my action movies, it's creative violence, which The Punisher had plenty of. The anti-personnel mine on the string, placed in the hand of Travolta's son. Blowing up Howard Saint's car dealership (I don't think the explosions should have formed the skull symbol, however). That car he had (man, I wish that hadn't got totaled). And oh yeah, the fight with the Russian. While it couldn't compare to the one from the comics, I would put it up there as one of my three favorite movies fights of all time, with the Thunderdome battle between Mad Max and Blaster, and the fight on top of the tank in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The level of creative violence, with Frank trying every weapon or trick he had hidden in his apratment, and the Russian just coming right on, using. . . whatever he feels like hitting Frank with. I just wish we could have had the comedy of the Russian telling Frank he is the president of the Smolensk Daredevil Fan Club. Then he could talk about how bad Daredevil was.

I kind of wish there had been more time to get to know Frank's neighbors, for those who hadn't read the comics. Still, I feel they did a pretty good job of showing us the personalities of each, and giving us some idea how these people interact, support, and rely on each other, a luxury Frank doesn't feel he has.

And there were some funny moments. The fight with the Russian, when Frank tries to pull out the revolver, and the Russian smashes it with a barbell, bending the barrel. There's a moment where Frank just sits there, staring at the gun, with this "Now what?" look on his face. The 'torture', of Frank's soon to be snitch and helper, with the blowtorch and the popsicle. Dave and Mr. Bumpo's reactions around Frank. Frank's confrontation with Joan's loser ex-boyfriend. Howard Saint getting gutshot, tied to a car, and then being dragged through his dealership as it blows up around him. Well, maybe that was only funny to me.

One thing I seriously did not like: Harry Heck. I don't mind other hired killers being sent after Frank, but the singing in the diner, damn, that was just irritating. I would have rather Frank got attacked by some Aussie named "Boomerang".

It wasn't perfect, but for a budget of $33 million it was pretty damn close. X-Men 3 will be lucky to be this good, and it's got a budget five times that size. I know money isn't everything, but for that much, a movie has to be awesome. As for me, I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel. I think Frank should be a little more competent now, sustain fewer injuries. He probably won't have a permanent base, and if he does, it won't be as easy to find. At least, I hope he's learned the importance of that. I give The Punisher, 4 "Dead Saint Family Members" out of 5.

No comments: