Wednesday, January 18, 2006

What I Bought 1/18/06

According to Eric, I may be the only person not happy with the direction Dan DiDio is taking DC. Fine. When DiDio stops screwing over the characters I care about, I'll start being happy with his direction. With that out of the way, on to reviews. Spolier warnings abound.

Batgirl #72 - Last month I said, I was probably grading this book lightly because it's drawing to a close. This month, I can't even grade this issue. I just don't know how to feel about this book. On some level I actually feel better about Cassandra's chances of suriving the cancellation, based on the fact she got stabbed in the chest this month, and not next month. Other than that, I don't know what to say, other than I didn't like De La Fuente's art. It was very hard to follow the actions and movements of the characters, and the movements I could follow looked pretty awkward. Incomplete.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #4 - See, every once in a while, "The Other" has an issue I like. This one has Peter being probed and tested by Stark, Hank Pym (booo!) and Reed Richards. Peter manages to escape, but only due to the intimidating glare of May Parker. Peter takes MJ out for a webswing, MJ shows Jameson what she thinks of him - hilarious - and Peter acts a little oddly. Oh yeah, and at the end, Peter shows an uncanny ability to recognize the type of spiders that have encased the top of Stark's building, before meeting a new being comprised of a bunch of spiders. Oh joy, he said flatly, and the issue was going so well. 3.5 out of 5.

Marvel Knights Spider-Man #22. First off, I didn't like Pat Lee's art. Second off, I have no idea what the hell is going on. All this 'What you are, I am not. What you are not, I am' stuff is just annoying as hell. I'm just tired of all this. I don't know where they're going with this. I don't like how all of the sudden Jarvis is acting unfriendly towards Peter, how the rest of the team, except Logan, seems to regard Spidey as part of the problem with this spider-thing. It really is amazing how this series can have the previous issues, that really seem to be true to the character, and then the follow up is crap. I mean, stingers, popping out of his wrists? If that's the case, can he still shoot webbing from his wrists? 'Cause it seems like the massive impaling thingamajiggers would tend to interfere with that. Thank goodness it's almost over. 2 out of 5.

3 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

The spider-mass-thing? Wasn't that the third of the three enemies Ezekiel had him fight?

What the bollocks is going on?

CalvinPitt said...

Yeah that was the Gatekeeper, although I don't think Peter was actually supposed to fight it, that was more Ezekiel setting him up.

It does seem as though they're reusing the idea. I don't know.

thekelvingreen said...

It's almost as if JMS has had a mini stroke, forgotten that he's already written all this, and then come across his story notes for the earlier stuff and thought "Oooh, lt's write this up!"

And because Marvel are idiots, they let him do it.