Saturday, January 14, 2006

Things I Think About #7

Here's a hypothetical for you. Say Didio or Quesada comes up to you. They tell you either they're going to start a new team book, or change the lineup on an existing one. You get to choose the seven character roster, no limits, any hero, villain, alive or dead, although if they're dead, story arcs will have to be devoted to the resurrection. Whoever you pick, the writer and artist will depict them properly.

Here's the question: Would you take this as an opportunity to put seven of your favorite characters in the same book together, or would you include some you don't like as much, maybe even despise (Cyclops), because you feel they would best fill an important role on your team?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ideally your faveriot seven would be characters who are different enough to warrant making an interesting team.

kalinara said...

I actually would include a few I hated, just to make things more fun. They'd be characters like Hawkman though, not like Jade. Different sort of hate there.

(hmph, I *like* Cyclops)

thekelvingreen said...

Yeah, I would include a couple I hated, just to see if I could make them work, and a couple of utter conceptual failures, just for the challenge of trying to make Armless Tiger Man (for example) work as a character.

Anonymous said...

(Hmph I like Hawkman)

Jake said...

I'd probably try to put together the best team I could, regardless of my feelings for a character. Largely, this is because many of my favorite (superhero) characters (e.g. Punisher, Daredevil, Hulk) work best as solo artists.

Also, if Peter David's early 90's run on X-Factor taught me anything, it's that the least compelling characters can become the most interesting. That team was put together with all the characters Liefeld, Lee, and Portacio didn't want and they quickly became the best characters in the X-books.

thekelvingreen said...

Indeed, because characters that have been overlooked are characters that have been left undeveloped, leaving an almost blank canvas to work with.

Anonymous said...

How about villain teams?

They usually rather suck. Or, the members collectively have not quite enough personality for one character.