Friday, January 13, 2006

Whatever Happened to . . . Things I Think About #6

Ahh, the joys of chocolate chewy Chips Ahoy. As if they weren't delicious enough, they made the whole cookie chocolate.

Here's a question for you: What happened to thought balloons? Nowadays, the character's inner monologue goes on in the caption boxes in the corner. But that used to be reserved for the writer/narrator to say things like "and at the speed of thought, the Scarlet Speedster creates a giant tornado that . . ."

So does anyone know when thought balloons died out? Who's responsible? 'Cause if it's Grant Morrison, well then he and I are gonna have words. Something like:
Me: Hey Mr. Morrison.
God of All Comics: Who the hell are you?
Me: I saved you from those cows wrapped in barb wire, remember? I trapped them in a barn and burned it down.
God of All Comics: Security.

Actually I'd bet they were phased out because certain fanboys felt they were too childish, but my story is better.

One final question: When you narrate your life, do you see your thoughts in balloons or in caption boxes? Because mine are in boxes, which surprises me seeing as I grew up with thought balloons.

8 comments:

Diamondrock said...

My thoughts work differently. It's more like in cartoons when they zoom in on the person's head and it becomes transparent and you can see the images representative of what they're thinking about. Except that it's all words in my head...

Ragnell said...

I think it was with Mark Waid's Flash.

It was definately with the advent of first-person narrative, and I think Waid's Flash was the most prominent use of that I'd ever seen.

Sic'em!

Anonymous said...

I think in third person.

Mallet shall drive to the grocery store.

Like I'm commanding myself to do it.

thekelvingreen said...

My thoughts are in Thor-era Stan Lee style narration.

CalvinPitt said...

So you're thinking things like "Ne'er has kelvin green experienced such unimaginable pain from a bean burrito!"

Wait, that was late 80s Thor narration. Never mind.

thekelvingreen said...

It's sort of like that, but with lots of "Lo!"s and "thru"s. ;)

Jake said...

On a similar note, what happened to the editors' notes? Back in the 80's you couldn't read an issue of anything without some footnote cross referencing a conversation or piece of banter between characters.

Wolverine: You'd better be careful, bub.
Peter Parker: Trust me, I'm not making you mad again!
*Not after what happened back in Amazing Spider-Man #272! - Bob

Anonymous said...

Yellow boxes ala Deadpool, which means I'm obviously insane. (Slow day at work, so I'm reading the old posts!)
I miss the editor's notes too. I think Marvel swung the pendulum back, from editors pretty much writing the books, all the way over to no editorial control at all.