Thursday, January 05, 2006

What I Bought 1/5/06

Jeez, I go away for a week, and you all get into some big discussion about objectification in the comic medium. . . or something. I'm still unclear on the details, but whatever.

Teen Titans #31 - Ok, maybe I'm just real dense, but what was the point of the Captain Carrot stuff? Was there supposed to be some meaning behind it, relavent to the story? Was Johns just having some fun? I don't know, help me out here.

Overall, the story left me cold. I just couldn't bring myself to care, and here's why. Supposedly "Kid Eternity" (Jesus, what a name), closed the door between life and death. Great, I'm all for people who died staying that way, even if it's someone I wish hadn't died in the first place. But, it won't last. We all realize this right? Dead will remain dead for a couple of years, then someone will get antsy to use Ted Kord again and here he comes, miraculously reanimated from some saliva that fell from his mouth as he died.

On the plus side, maybe this will be the last Raven/Brother Blood/Trigon story for awhile. Who knows, Johns may even send her to high school like he said he would . . . fifteen issues ago. 3 out of 5.

Spider-Girl #94 - When I first started this blog, I made a post with the comics I read grouped based on my reactions when I see they came in. This title is starting to drift from Group 2 (expecting good stuff, slight fear of suckage) to Group 3 (expected suckage, hope for something better). The reason can be summed up in five letters: V-E-N-O-M.

The symbiote has been in the story for about 12 issues or so, but just recently has little Normie Osborn started using it, supposedly to be a hero. This has led to much angst on May's part, as she hasn't told anyone about this, including her dad, who given his dislike for Normie and the symbiote as separate entities might go beserk if he knew they were together.

Anyway, so the Avengers are suspicious of Normie, and depleted so Tony Stark arranges for some old members to help out, Hawkeye, the Scarlet Witch, and Ant-Man (Scott Lang). I wonder is this some kind of dig at Bendis or the current editorial direction at Marvel? Cassie Lang, who's also on the Avengers, tells May about and she rushes off to try to keep things from getting out of control, which they still do. The symbiote feels threatened, lashes out, and away we go. The old-timers seem extra aggressive, but that could be because they've been out of the game for awhile, and they're trying to avoid getting wasted. Anyway, some robot/cyborg thing that looks like Jim Rhodes goes nuts after Wanda hits it with a hex bolt (can't she stop screwing things up?), and starts kicking everyone's buts. The book felt kind of flat, but I feel like it might lead to something interesting next month, especially now that the symbiote thing is out there, and May has to deal with having kept it a secret from everyone. 4 "Tony Stark killed Jim Rhodes!" out of 5.

The Punisher #29 - I haven't enjoyed this arc as much as the previous two (Up is Down and Black is White, Mother Russia). I think that's due to there being less violence than there was in those arcs, which just had PILES of bodies. But, it's still been a good read. Frank has had to be a little more analytical about it. These people are hard to find, harder to break. Frank notes it in the gun battle at the beginning that these guys don't panic when he starts blasting heads off. They hunt cover and fire back carefully. I'm curious to see how the colaboration with these two cops works out. I think it was kind of pointless for them to warn Frank to leave the cop in charge of the Punisher manhunt, Westin, alone. First, Frank doesn't kill cops, even dirty ones. Two, if he did, those two cops sure as hell couldn't do anything about it. Frank would take thime out in about, oh, two point four seconds. 4 out of 5.

I'm a little miffed, for the second week in a row, my Bloodrayne one-shot failed to show. Yes I'm reading Bloodrayne comics. No, I'm not going to the movie, in fact I may hide under my bed until it leaves theaters. And what is the guy who played Ghandi doing in that movie?

Just to let you know, I'm planning a "best of" for sometime, probably by early next week. I'm just trying to decide whether to lump them all together, or split them up by company.

2 comments:

Chris said...

For what it's worth, when we considered our "Best Of" lists over at 2 Guys Buying Comics, we took one look at our collections and realized that it just wasn't worth it to split it up by company. Hope this saves you a potential headache.

thekelvingreen said...

On the plus side, maybe this will be the last Raven/Brother Blood/Trigon story for awhile.
Yeah, he's been banging on about that plot since the series started, and I'm not sure he ever worked out that it's painfully dull and no one else cares, so it'll be back, no doubt.

Oh, and Ben Kingsley slid into hackery a long time ago. He was in the Species movies, remember.