Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ah, Lighthearted Funtimes!

Wind's really blowing out there. Hope it doesn't knock out the power. . . again. Last weekend I picked up Spider-Man/Human Torch in a bookstore, on the strength of two reviews of it. Lucky me, I got it for four bucks. It was in the bargain shelves, can ya believe that? Ah, good times.

Anyway, it a five-issue mini-series that details some interactions between Webhead and Matchstick at different times in their lives. In most cases there's some conflict between Spidey and the Torch, but on a couple of occasions, the difficulty is between the Torch and Peter Parker, such as when Pete gets an internship with Reed and hits it off with the hot Soviet intern, who has shot the Torch down effortlessly. The envy each guy has for the others' life is a recurring theme throughout the stories, although there are times it rings a little false coming from the Torch. That may be because I'm not as up on my Johnny Storm history as I am Peter Parker, but it was a little odd to see Johnny gawking at Peter Parker having Gwen and MJ glad to see him. . . when the Torch has Crystal sitting right next to him. Of course, that's Johnny for ya, I guess.

Ty Templeton's on the art chores, and I think he does a good job of it. This is meant to be a largely lighthearted story, and his work and the coloring go well with that. It;s not meant to be a dark or gritty tale (even when Pete is talking to Gwen while standing on the bridge where she died), and it doesn't look like one. Plus I loved the facial expressions he gave Johnny in #5 when he learns Pete's big secret. No, not that the Pete is the "Parker" in Mary Jane Watson-Parker. The panel was set too far back for a good view of Johnny's face at that point, silly. Of course, sadly, I suppose that story could never have happened, since Pete was married, and had organic webshooters, and was teaching (did the teaching get taken out of his history? If not, why the hell isn't he still teaching? "Freelance photographer" is really better?! Really?!)

I'm sorry. I didn't plan to bring that stuff up. It is a fun mini-series, with Johnny's hair misadventures, Spidey's introduction to Kirby dots, and appearances by She-Hulk, the Black Cat, Kraven, Paste Pot Pete (sorry, the Trapster), and of course, DOOM! For what mini-series would be complete without Dr. Doom? None, says I!

So yeah, go find Spider-Man/Human Torch. Buy it. And hopefully you'll enjoy it.

8 comments:

Jason said...

You left out the best part, the Spider-Mobile! And foiling communist apes with hostess fruit pies.

That is such a fun series.

Anonymous said...

This was a great series, and I loved the conclusion with the Parkers and FF having dinner. Of course thanks to a deal with the devil all of that has now been removed from history (hey lets make a deal with the devil that not only gets me divorced but also removes from my life every one of my best friends, yeah that's a good idea).

SallyP said...

Goodness, I haven't read this in the longest time, but it was a cute little story. Fun even. And lighthearted.

Too bad none of it ever happened. Guess I'll just have to throw out all my old Spidey books.

CalvinPitt said...

jason: Well, I figured Chris Sims already did that issue more justice than I could, so I'd better just stick to the other issues.

seangreyson: I kind of hold out hope that the first four issues could still have happened, since they were all pre-marriage. It's still kind of a bummer, because that last issue was such a great conclusion to the whole mini-series though.

sallyp: I think you should just pretend that the only Spidey stories that actually happened are the ones you have, and the other stuff all got wiped out. That way, it's the new stuff you would throw out, except you don't have to, because you didn't buy it!

Unknown said...

I dug the mini a ton. That was what made me wish for Slott on Spider-Man...it's too bad all of the cool family stuff (the Fantastic Four and the Parkers as a sort of a mixed family) has been undone with One More Day.

-M

CalvinPitt said...

matt: Well, maybe once Brand New Day gets solidly established, and they cover all the continuity questions they feel need to be addressed, Slott can do a nice Spidey/Torch story. Won't be the same, but at least we know it would be good.

Anonymous said...

I'm still kind of hoping that One More Day/Brand New Day has a long term plan that'll have MJ and Pete get together and undo all the crap that Mephisto did (preferably without killing Aunt May but honestly, sacrifices need to be made). I mean its Marvel Comics they can't let the devil win can they?

Anonymous said...

They mentioned the teaching stuff in ASM #546, but no one will hire Pete because he's got an atrocious attendance record.