Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Artist/Audience Relationship?

You ever get a headache where it feels like hammers are pounding on your forehead, and there's an icepick being jammed into the base of your skull, simultaneously? I got that right now. I even know what the problem is, but I can't loosen my neck up enough to give it a good "snap, crack, pop!" to sort everything out. In other news, I enjoyed the beginning of PTI today, when Kornheiser said the first thing that should be on his "Bucket List" would be to tell Stat Boy TK is his father, if only for Reali's anguished "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" It made me laugh, even through the pain. Good times.

OK, enough skylarking.

I'm not sure where this post originates from. I think it's a general thing that I've been thinking about recently, based on different people's reaction to the same comics. I think it may have actually began with Diamondrock's post about his general disinterest in manga, and his comment that part of the problem was the art felt static, lifeless. In the comments, I had mentioned that with the manga I had read, it wasn't an issue of lack of motion, but perhaps of too much motion, or a lack of clarity in representing said motion. I don't have any idea if Diamonrock and I have looked at the same stuff, but I was curious about the different reaction. There have been a few other things that contributed, including Brian Hibbs description of the art in Punisher War Journal #15 as 'pretty stinky' (I'm too lazy to do any links, the issue came out last week, the review's part of a clump of reviews). In the comments, Tim Callahan expressed the opinion that PWJ #15 was one of the best-looking comics of the week. I've also seen people debating Stuart Immonen's work on Ultimate Spider-Man compared to Mark Bagley's. There are people who feel Immonen's lacking, that Bendis has had to add more talking because Immonen's art can't carry emotions as well, and there are others that think there's no difference, no dropoff from Bagley to Immonen. Personally, I don't think Immonen conveys the more subtle emotions as well, and his fight scenes aren't always as clearly laid out as I prefer, especially compared to Bagley, but there are obviously other people who feel differently.

So here's the point to all this. When reading a comic book, how much of the burden for following or understanding what is going on falls on the penciler/inker/colorist, and how much falls to the reader's ability to interpret the pictures in front of them? I know that with comic books, the writer plays a large role, since they can provide expository dialogue, caption boxes, or comments that shed light on what's happening, but for now I'm going to try and leave them out of it (good luck with that, right?)

When I really started to wonder about this, I started looking at my volumes of the Rurouni Kenshin manga and wondering if, when Sanosuke rears back to headbutt his opponent, the art was giving the sense of Sano throwing his head back in preparation, or if my mind was projecting/inserting the motion into the panel. Obviously, if I'm seeing actual motion, it's in my head because we're dealing with 2 dimensional drawings of things moving, as opposed to actual movement, but is the artist drawing in a manner that suggests the motion, or is the reader making that leap themselves? Is it possible for someone to illustrate in a manner which would evoke the proper response (assuming that the creative team is going for a specific reaction/emotion/image) in all people? Or do we, as the audience, each have our own blind spots, where certain styles simply don't mesh well with our minds, and so to our eyes those styles fail to achieve their desired effect, leading us to label the art as "ineffective", "poor", "ill-suited for the subject matter" or whatever adjectives we want to apply?

And if we do have "blind spots", then how much of the failure for the art to connect with the viewer is on the artist? Is it a case of them choosing the method or approach they think is best, and hoping that by and large, it strikes the right chord? I know there are basic rules that are generally followed (though I'm not real clear on what those rules specifically are), unless not following them serves a purpose in the story. I figure things like perspective, and not changing line-of-sight in odd ways, abrupt ways are kind of supposed to be observed, but beyond basic rules of art, how much are the artists responsible for?

As you can tell, I have no answers, just a bunch of questions. I figure somebody out there knows Art Theory better than me, and hopefully they'll speak up. Even if you don't know Art Theory, if you've got something to add, please do so. I'm gonna go lie down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I think the art has a very large part in telling the story (40+% at least).

I'm reminded of the Uncanny X-Men Annual from a few years ago (2001 maybe, they fought the Vanisher in Cuba I think). The story was average, and probably wouldn't have been bad. The art however was absolutely the worst I had seen in a major comic. It was nearly impossible to tell what was happening, the characters were effectively unrecognizable (I seem to recall saying "Is that Iceman or Nightcrawler"), and in the end the comic actually made me regret buying it.
On the other hand, great art can make up for a mediocre story. Also just the fact that when a long time artist leaves a book its disconcerting moving into a new style suggests that the art is important as well. Otherwise we largely wouldn't notice.

SallyP said...

Art is a very tricky thing, and what constitues "good" art from bad, can also be very subjective. I personally don't care much for Manga, but that's because I'm old and don't understand how to read it...plus it's a bit too "cartoony" for my taste.

On the other hand, I like Immonen and Pat Gleason very much, and their art is a bit on the cartoony side too.

As a visual medium, a comic book can get away with a mediocre story, IF the art is spectacular. It's a little harder when the story is fabulous, but the art is dreadful. When both the art and story are great, then you just rejoice, because everything is working.

Austin Gorton said...

It's kind of like how a movie with a bad story can be improved if it looks great while telling it.

If you haven't, check out Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics. I resisted reading it for years (figuring it would be kind of boring, and on the grounds that I didn't "care" about art as much as writing).

Then read it before attending a lecture Scott was giving at the art school my brother attends. Not only was it a fun read (as much fun as any other book I'd have picked up in its place) it really opened my eyes to a lot of the unspoken conventions of comic book art. I gained a much greater appreciation for the medium as a whole, and its capabilities by reading it.

I don't consider myself an "art guy" and certainly know next to nothing about "art theory" but after reading it, I feel more capable speaking about such things in relation to comic books. I really can't recommend it highly enough.