Sunday, January 13, 2008

Petard Hoisting Is Fun!

Idea: So Superman-Prime is traveling between universes by going through the Source Wall, right? I've been thinking about something that would be kind of amusing to have happen, the next time that happens. Say Prime punches the Source Wall, because it's a wall, and he's been known to get angry and punch those before. This punch causes reality to be altered, as has happened before. However, this time around Prime's punch causes him to be wiped out of existence. Or it changes reality so he's dead (kind of a reverse Jason Todd). Right then. Completely without warning.

It may just be me, but I would find that really funny, especially if it somehow also creates the perfect universe he's been searching for. Because really, any universe that doesn't have Superperson-Prime is automatically that much closer to being perfect. Plus, Prime isn't one of those characters I have any burning desire to see defeated, assuming he even can be. I'd rather he just went away, the sooner the better. Besides, he already took on practically every hero on New Earth, and still had enough left to toss the injured Anti-Monitor into deep space, so who can beat him? The Monarch? Are we destined to see a battle of two ridiculously overpowered, murderous loons, for the fate of the DC Universe?

The other thing about Prime going out the way I suggested is what it might represent, if you go with that idea I've seen bandied about that Prime is meant to represent the fans, which I've got to say, is a pretty unflattering portrayal of the people who buy your work if that's true. What would Prime wiping himself out of existence mean? If you keep changing things, seemingly just for the sake of changing things, the fans eventually go away? I'm just throwing that out there. The people who more frequently analyze the metafictional aspects of the comics we read could have some fun with that though, I imagine.

3 comments:

SallyP said...

Heh heh. I love the way you think, Calvin. Superbrat Prime is indeed annoying.

Jason said...

The one thing that bugs me about all of this, since Infinite Crisis, had anyone dealt with the fact that Power Girl should be one of the most powerful characters in the DCU? It was set in stone that Earth-2 Superman was the storngest character and then he died. But, apparently, Power Girl was a Kryptonian from his Krypton, so shouldn't she be just as powerful as him?

Anyway, while I do like your idea, I think that Super-jack-ass Prime will ultimately end up on "our" Earth, de-powered, but with his family and friends back. It will make him no longer a threat and will give him what he really wants. I think he will end up redeeming himself.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: He really is annoying, and not in the fun way, like say a Mxy.

jason: That's a good point about Power Girl, I don't really know what's going on there. i was surprised that she and the rest of the JSa couldn't hold Kingdom Come Superman down, what with him being old and all, I figured he'd be weak (by Superman standards, anyway).

That would be an interesting way to go with Prime, but I'm kind of opposed to him getting what he wants after all the damage he's done. Him getting a happy ending after all the killing just seems wrong. Could still happen, and I guess the right writer could make it work, but I really hope it doesn't go that way.