Saturday, January 26, 2008

I Lack Words

There are times that, I, I just don't know about Marvel, or me and this hobby of mine.

We've got the Millar on an upcoming Wolverine arc, and his well, incestuous Hulk grandkids. From the creative team who brought you Civil War! I'm using "creative" very loosely there.

Then there's Bendis and whatever it is that put a bug up his ass about Tigra. Bendis, please, stop writing about Tigra. I know Yu said she was gonna get a moment in the sun to make up for all the crap lately, but I have no faith in you to do right by the character. No faith whatsoever. If it was your pets, Luke Cage and Jessica Drew, then I might believe you were doing this with the purpose of showing what true heroes they are, and how they persevere. But since it's a character you've professed to hate, a character you have Edwin Jarvis, of all characters, calling an obscenity, I can't give you that benefit of the doubt (and we're gonna talk about that Jarvis thing tomorrow). Because you've given no indication you deserve it. The funny thing is, once upon a time (in Mexico) I wasn't prepared to buy that you did hate Tigra, thinking you just said that as a joke. I believe it now.

So here's the thing: Millar, please stop writing. Or at least, please stop trying to outdo Jeph Loeb in terms of unsubtle, gratuitous stupidity. And Bendis, please stop writing Tigra. Stop writing about her. Make a deal with Mephisto to forget that she even exists in the Marvel Universe. Or I'll make a deal with Mephisto to make you forget. I can trade my love for Ultimate Spider-Man. I'm willing to do that. Marvel got my money for them, so it's not as if you would care, and I'll have stuff to keep me warm when the Apocalypse comes and there's no electricity (because I don't burn reading material otherwise). You don't have to finish the story you have planned for her, just drop it. In a few years, someone will come along who likes the character, who can do right by her, they'll make her part and they'll rehab the character.

I, I, I ju- I don't know. I'm not even buying these books (nor do I plan to) and their existence is driving me up the walls.

*sighs*

I'm done.

9 comments:

SallyP said...

It...its is as though they are TRYING to see just how far they can go with us! I can only assume that Mark Millar is tying to outdo Frank Miller on ASBAR.

And the thing with Bendis and Tigra is beginning to get a little creepy and pathetic. Enough already, we get that you don't like her. I can't see that Spiderwoman, who he luuuuuuvvvvss is that much more superior than poor ol' Tigra. And heck, Jan is more annoying than BOTH of them.

Marvel is really annoying me. They come out with Damage Control, which makes me all happy, and then rain on my parade with this crap.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: I guess we gotta take the good with the bad. I just wish the bad wasn't so mind-bendingly bad.

Anonymous said...

Well... at least Dan Slott's Spidey issues are good.
Also, Millar needs to stop trying to out miller Miller. Nothing goood can come of it.

CalvinPitt said...

bret: That's good to hear at Slott's Spidey. I've heard that Millar wrote some very good Superman stories, back before it seemed like everything had to be extreme and hardcore. I wonder if he feels he has to write this way, trapped by the success of Ultimates, or if it's just what he wants to write?

Swinebread said...

wow, you're still reading Avengers?

I quit that years ago and what a blessing it's been.

CalvinPitt said...

swinebread: Nah, I don't read it anymore, besides what I see on other blogs and scans_daily and such. Still that's enough for me to be aware of it, for better or worse.

Pedro said...

You are commenting about stuff that you don't read fully and what you do read is out of context from the full story and second hand from other com mentors. I love the comics blogosphere.

God forbid, Tigra as a character join the New Avengers and get her revenge on the Hood. It would pretty much be an interesting story arc. It would almost be like the writer intended that to happen from the beginning.

Unknown said...

I've felt that way pretty often myself lately, what with all of this Spidey stuff. When I hear Joe Quesada says he finds it favorable for a parent to have to explain Spider-Man making a deal with the devil over Spider-Man getting a divorce, I wonder why I even buy comics.

-M

CalvinPitt said...

pedro: I didn't like my initial attempt at a response, so trying again. I agree, Bendis most likely has this whole Tigra/Hood thing planned out however many months it will go. But just because someone has something planned out doesn't mean it's going to work, or be better for the character than where they were before, and that's my issue.

After reading the Annual today, I have more hope that this arc will perhaps establish Tigra in the way Bendis has done with Cage. I still think she came off too poorly at the start, but if Bendis makes it all come together, then I guess I'll have to do an apology post.

matt: It's the power of the Internet, I think. It was easier when I didn't have a clue about what creators were saying about characters and stories. And yet I can't turn away. So sad.