Monday, January 21, 2008

Shall We Discuss Discussing Comics?

There's no hope of stopping the Patriots fairly now, is there? Then again, if there was ever a franchise that could host the Super Bowl in their year-old stadium, only to have it hit by a meteorite during said sporting event, it would be the Arizona Cardinals. So there's that, at least.

But that's not really what I was going to talk about today, I just needed to get it out there.

What I wanted to ask about today is what you try to get out of other people's reviews of comic books. Or TV shows, movies, video games, books, whatever. Is it to see whether there's something out there that's really good that you should check out, or conversely, something that's really bad that you should avoid (say, that Wolverine story Jeph Loeb did last year)? Do you use them as a cheap way to keep up on titles you once loved but no longer wish to financially support (*cough Amazing Spider-Man cough*)? Is it a way to get a different point of view on something you've already read (or watched, or played)? An opportunity to see if there's something you missed when you read it, or maybe just to see if someone else interprets things differently? Or is it all three, depending on what we're talking about?

I think it's all of those things for me, since I can get introduced to something I need to consider purchasing, or save myself cash by not buying something I don't feel is worth it, and I never know when someone more astute than me is going to point out something I missed, that will cause me to rethink my opinion of a work. One of the Savage Critics did that with Punisher: The Tyger once, since I had initially felt it was good, but fairly pointless, and whichever one it was mentioned that it seemed to be Ennis building on what make Frank Castle who he is. Viewing it from the perspective, it was a lot more interesting of a comic to me, and it changed the way I was looking at Ennis' Punisher work as a whole.

4 comments:

Jason said...

There are three main reasons I read reviews, to see if something is worth my time, to give me additional insight to something I have seen/read and to be entertained.

The first one seems pretty self-explanatory. I also use them to keep up on titles I don't read.

The second could be unique to me, but I like to read movie reviews after I've seen the movie. It helps me to answer questions I may have had or see if there was anything I was missing in the event I didn't like it. I really enjoy Roger Ebert's reviews, since I tend to agree with a lot of his stuff. Plus he's much smarter than me.

The third one, two words: Chris Sims. I don't care about Tarot, but I need to read his review every month (or so). I'd also include the ABP in this category.

As for the Pats, I don't even know if a meteor could stop them. I'm sure Wes Welker would catch it. The only hope is that the general suckiness of the Cardinals rubs off on them. No, the other sucky Cardinals, not the baseball ones.

Anonymous said...

I'd agree with those categories as well. I also like to read other people's reviews for validation that I was right about something as well.
One more day leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth...Oh good it wasn't just me. X-Men: First Class is a lot of fun...I knew I was right about that. Messiah Complex is actually not that bad...Oh wait that is just me. :)

joncormier said...

I find myself wondering why I try to review comics more than why I read blog reviews.

Part of it was for information when I first thought about buying comics again, now it's mostly just habit. Cynical but honest. I do find that I have more items of quality pointed out via blogs than the two local superhero shops in my part of the city.

SallyP said...

I blush to admit this, but yes, I do like reading the reviews and enjoy the general comments. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I disagree...passionately. But it is all part of the fun, I suppose.

And yes, since I am from Connecticut, I think I can say that the Patriots are out to rule the world. Gosh, but this has actually been a heck of ayear for New England...sportswise! The Patriots are on a roll, the Red Sox won (again!), the Celtics are good, and even the Bruins are halfway decent. Not to mention that the UCONN Women's Basketball team is once again undefeated. I may just have to sit here and gloat for a while.