Saturday, February 23, 2008

Two Little Thoughts

1) The Monk season finale was last night. I was only sort of watching, so I'm still unclear how the assassination was going to serve Dale the Whale's plans, but I did enjoy the part when Stottlemeyer finds out from Natalie that Monk is failing at keeping a low profile. 'Leland Rodriguez? That's what he's calling himself. Well that's just stupid.' Plus, it's always fun to watch Monk and Dale interact, though not as much this time since Dale wasn't played by Tim Curry. He seemed a bit more crude this time, lacking that veneer of civilization he previously displayed.

2) Apparently Batgirl is getting a mini-series. *smiles* It's being written by Adam Beechen. *mulls it over, rubs chin thoughtfully* I'm uncertain about this. From most of what I've heard, Beechen's work with Robin was well-received. From that, I'm guessing he was doing a good job writing the main character, which I would imagine is the primary concern for a person writing a solo title: Get the main character right. He even tried to give Tim a social life and friends, which he had been sorely lacking since, oh pre-War Games/Identity Crisis, so credit for that. But Cassandra Cain, well I was less than enthused with how things went for her. How much of that was Beechen, and how much was DC Editorial, I don't know, but I'm not quite sure he's the writer I would like to have on this. And I'm not really sure we need to detail what happened to her as a way to explain her actions. Some times it's better to just ignore past bits of messy comic history, like how Spider-Man writers never referenced that time during the Clone Saga where Peter (inadvertently?) hit MJ. So it might be better to just say "Slade's hypos", and move forward. All this being said, I can't say that I won't at least check out the first issue. I suppose I have to at least let them start their story.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

I just read Gail Simone's proposed Batgirl treatment this morning - even with my lack of emotional investment in the character, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

CalvinPitt said...

matthew: That's the one where she meets a preacher one night, and she switches to a white costume, and becomes a sort of urban angel? I think it would have at least been interesting to see that play out for awhile. Has something like that even been tried with a caped type?

Matthew said...

That's the one, Calvin - to be honest I'm not sure if its been tried before. It certainly would have made for interesting interactions with Bats - and Robin too.