Thursday, February 21, 2008

Worrying About Fictional Babies

This feels a bit odd, because I'm worrying about something that probably won't even come up in the story, but I suppose that never stopped me before.

So in Amazing Spider-Girl, Mayday's little brother is getting prepped for a procedure that might restore his hearing. It's been determined that May's the best potential blood donor, should the need arise, and so Pete and MJ send her home to rest up for the next day. Except May went out to find Detective Drasco, and wound up caught by the Hobgoblin. So with May busy not resting up, I'm starting to worry about little Ben. I probably shouldn't, because the doctor's phrasing suggested both Pete and MJ are also acceptable blood donors, but May's already feeling guilty about Ben being deaf, since her using that sonic weapon to destroy the symbiote (Or is it symbiont? Hey Firefox isn't telling me it's spelled wrong! I guess Deadpool was right! How terrifying.) that had latched on to Ben is what wrecked his hearing in the first place. She was really happy that not only could the damage be fixed, but that she might be able to help, to atone for her mistake.

I'm not really concerned that Ben's going to die or anything. That doesn't really strike me as DeFalco's style, so that's not my major worry. I'm mostly concerned that there are going to be complications during the procedure, and May's not going to be there, so MJ or Peter will have to step up, then May will show up later, and feel guilty that she wasn't there like she was supposed to be. I just figure that with her already feeling guilty about Ben, Moose's dad, the fact she's still keeping secrets from her closest friends, the mystery stalker, her stress over Gene wanting to get back together with her, Hobgoblin, Deadspot, the ever looming presence of Black Tarantula, she has enough on her plate already. More grief and guilt over her little brother just seems a bit much.

I actually think DeFalco will have May get there in time, and the procedure will go fine, because things tend to work out well in that universe, but I couldn't quite shake the concerns, with may privately wondering whether the Parker luck will wreck things, and Peter being dumb enough to openly question whether the Parkers are finally getting some good fortune. Really Peter, you ought to know better than that by now.

No comments: