Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Like A Movie, Only In Episodic Form

Used to be, I posted on a blog known as the Book of Fitz. That started some time after I started this here blog, and continued sporadically until the blog creator decided to close up, and move to a new blog. Yeah, I didn't really get the logic of starting a whole new blog either, but he seemed to feel it would help his posting schedule. It did help me, by letting me condense all my sports-related posts onto the Macq Experience, instead of splitting them between two sources. Anyway, sometime in the last couple of months, the Book of Fitz was removed, deleted, whatever, and so the dozen or so posts I made there are gone. Very sad, since that was where I declared Ken the leader of the Jeff Weaver Believer Bandwagon Experience (back during the '06 MLB playoffs, when Jeff Weaver was briefly, remarkably good, as Ken predicted). I always liked that name. Rolls off the tongue.

To get to the point, since the blog was deleted (though I know it exists out there somewhere, in some format), I figured I'd use one of my posts from there, here. Not word for word, since I don't have a copy of it, but close enough. It's not cheating, since I didn't have any overlap in audience, right? At the time I made the original post, I'd watched Dead Poets Society for the, I don't know, nth time, where n > 1. After it finished, I was left wondering about the fates of the various students. Did Robin Williams have any lasting effect on them, besides Neil, who wound up dead? Did that unpleasant headmaster crush their resolve by tediously going through that poetry textbook one page at a time? Did their friendships suffer with one of them dead, and Charlie expelled (he was going to get tossed for punching that snotty, red-headed narc, right?)? How did the faculty handle all this? Those kinds of questions.

I thought perhaps that would have made an interesting TV show, or at least a TV mini-series. OK, maybe it would have only been interesting to me, and maybe I would have been disappointed in the results, but it was something I thought about. From that point, I started wondering if there were other movies that would lend themselves to television series. I know there have been a few (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Odd Couple), so I wondered if you knew of any other movies that you thought the TV format might work for as a follow up/continuation.

2 comments:

Seangreyson said...

This is a harder question than I thought it would be but here's some possible ideas:

1) The Last Starfighter - Fun sci fi series (think Battlestar Galactica) with lots of well "Starfighting" against the remnents of the Codan armada.

2) Hellboy - they've already done a bit of this with the animated movies, but tie closer to the comics and make it a BPRD television show. Superheroes meet the X-files.

3) Any of the Count of Monte Cristo movies. The book is an incredible story that cannot be shortened to 2 hours. Turn it into a tv series on HBO or something and it will be a thousand times more interesting than the movies usually are.

What I actually thought was interesting when going through Netflix was the number of movies that this happened for. I found at least 6 or 7 just going through movies I've rated.

Jason said...

This made me think of back in the late 70's/early 80's when they would release theatrical movies essesntially as pilots for new TV series. They did this with both Buck Rogers and the original Battlestar Galactica. I'm sure nowadays that people wouldn't pay for something that was going to be on TV anyway, but back then, before home video, it was a novel plan.

I think a lot of movies are made today with ready-built spin-offs in mind (such as the Get Smart D2DVD movie that came out the same week as the movie), so I suspect we might be seeing more of this in the future.

I think a Jason Bourne TV show could be good. It's be like a rougher version of Burn Notice.