Saturday, July 05, 2008

Quick Check-In Post

Hey folks. I'm still out and about, but since I'm somewhere with Internet access, I figured I snap off a quick post, just to keep things active.

So I mentioned on Wednesday that I saw Revenge of the Sith for the first time this week. Well, saw part of it anyway. I had a question based on a scene near the end of the flick.

After Not So Old Ben Kenobi has relieved Anakin of one of his arms and both legs, Annie's laying there, very close to the lava. I can't remember whether he'd already caught on fire, or if that was just in the immediate future. Either way, Anakin reaches out his remaining hand towards Obi-Wan and screams "I hate you!" It seemed (intentionally, I'm sure) reminiscent of Luke reaching out to Vader for help in Return of the Jedi when Emperor Prune Face was zapping him.

So here's what I'm wondering: If Anakin had reached out to Kenobi and asked for help, instead of screaming at him, would Obi-Wan have helped him? Or would he have decided it was a trick, Anakin was too far gone, just leave him there?

6 comments:

LEN! said...

I think Obi-Wan would have still left him.

The Jedi are usually all about love and peace until the Sith are mentioned. When that happens, the line is usually, "Kill the Sith!"

Obi-Wan would have left the brat to burn, reassuring himself that death would be the only way to redeem Anakin.

Jason said...

I don't know about that. Having watched it on Friday, I thought it was a huge wuss move on Obi-Wan's part that he didn't finish Anikin off. I mean, he just sorta left him there to a horrible death, instead of making it quick.

I think if Anikin had asked for help, Obi-Wan probably would've given it.

Seangreyson said...

I think Obi Wan might have helped actually. If he sensed that Anakin's request for help was an actual request for redemption and absolution, then he would've been required to help.

My problem with the movie is still the end sequence with Amidala. She dies, and they have the funeral on Alderann, and the camera focuses on a girl who is obviously Leia in the funeral procession. Why the complete change in ending, late enough in the movie that you already had funeral footage.

Jason said...

Sean, the little girl they focus on in the funeral procession at the end if George Lucas's daughter. I think he just threw that out there for her. Not that she was supposed to be Leia, since the little girl was, like, five (unless we're talking about different kids here, which is entirly possible).

Also, I thought the funeral was on Naboo, thus....Jar-jar.

Seangreyson said...

It's possible I'm wrong. Haven't seen it in forever. I may have projected Leia onto the little girl, since Leia's mother is supposed to die late enough that Leia actually remembers her (per her conversation with Luke in RotJ).

Austin Gorton said...

Yeah, that little girl is Amidala's niece. She's mentioned in one of Episode II's deleted scenes.