Friday, August 01, 2008

So Much SIlver Age Stuff

I spent today at my grandmother's former home, helping my dad with some moving. We already got most of the furniture that wanted to be kept, so this was mostly about getting the things important to my dad, and putting the rest out for auction. I wound up as the keeper of his comics.

I'm not a big fan of Superman comics from that era (though they do have their insane charms, as I'm sure many of you know), but there's quite a few Sgt. Rock's in there, as well as G.I. Combat, which means, among other things, the Haunted Tank. Hell yes.

What I found interesting is that when people talk about Sgt. Rock, they talk about Joe Kubert drawing it, with Kanigher handling the writing. But almost all of the ones my dad has have Kubert doing the scripting, and Russ Heath on the art. Which is fine, I like his work on these comics just fine, even more so than his work on the last issue of Immortal Iron Fist. There's more of a rough edge to his older work, possibly an attempt to mimc Kubert, that I find appealing, at least when it comes to Easy Company. I'm not sure that particular style would work as well for Superman, but that's not really an issue here.

There are a couple of Marvel's in there, one Lee/Kirby Thor (where's he fighting Mangog), and one Lee/John Buscema issue against Durok the Demolisher. Pity the comics are in such beat up condition. It's as though their original owner left them in a box in a basement for 25 years, until some punk kid, perhaps a son, found them, read them, and didn't take care with placing them after he was finished. Don't know how that could have happened.

Anyway, between that little haul, and my being reuinted with the majority of my collection, I might be doing more posts about older comics in the future. Or maybe not. I still haven't sprung for a scanner, and those are just so helpful.

3 comments:

SallyP said...

That sounds like an interesting haul. I have that old Thor issue with Mangog! It's fun to go back and do the older issues every once in a while.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Yeah, I'm always really amused by Volstagg's bluster, though it helps that both Simonson and DeFalco later portray Volstagg as a smart warrior, who perhaps just plays up the goofiness a bit (or perhaps is simply old enough to not feel the need for constant battle)>

SallyP said...

I love Volstagg. I think one of my favorite moments with him, was when the Warriors Three were on earth hanging out with Thor,and he discoverd the "Temple of the Golden Arches" and was simply enthralled. I've called it that ever since.