Friday, January 16, 2009

Do The Sound Effects Harm His Credibility?

I had something more substantial planned for today, but I can't seem to focus so tomorrow for that. For today, I was watching Iron Man, and Tony has announced Stark Industries won't be making weapons anymore. Shortly afterward, Pepper is watching some financial analyst guy assess the situation, and the guy is, well "over the top" is probably understating it. He compares Stark Industries to the Hindenburg, compares the fate of the company to his smashing a coffee mug with a baseball bat, and employs numerous sound effects throughout.

OK, I've seen this guy on TV before, so I know he has an actual show where he discusses the world of business. Is he like that on the show all the time, or does he occasionally tone it down and have serious conversations with experts about the effect of this layoff, or this merger? If he's always making with the noises and physical comedy, is he someone people in the field take seriously? I imagine he would use those methods to keep people interested in economics and commerce, but it doesn't seem it would lend much weight to his arguments. Perhaps he's operating by the ESPN school of "Guy who yells loudest is right".

2 comments:

Jason said...

The comparison of that dude (whose name escapes me) to ESPN is apt. He's pretty much the Steven A. Smith of financial analysts. And, as far as I know, he's always like that.

CalvinPitt said...

Jason: I'm surprised. I figured financial analysis wouldn't lend itself to that sort of goofballery.