Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hellcat Continues To Drive Me Daffy

For the purposes of today's post, I'm not talking about Patsy Walker: Hellcat #5 being delayed until the second week in November. I'm only getting comics every two weeks anyway, so I guess a delay shouldn't matter as much now*. So no Cornelius Potfiller this time.

Cornelius Potfiller: How very cheeky of you, young man! To summon me forthwith by invoking the title of that delightful publication, only to inform me my services are not desired?

Calvin: Summon you? Are you a demon or something? If so, then begone! I banish then, by the power of Smith & Wesson! *levels handgun, pulls trigger*

Cornelius: I say, most unsporting! *Falls over*

Relax folks, I just hit him in the shoulder. He'll get the best treatment the 19th century had to offer. So he'll probably be missing an arm next time he appears. *rimshot* Was that rimshot worthy? Ah well, where was I? Right, Hellcat. See, I'm fairly convinced that Kathryn Immonen is driving at something with this series, and I'm think I'm going nuts chasing after it. I read #4, and say to myself "Gee, Ssayong's (the heir Patsy was sent to rescue) face looks kind of similar to Reuben's (Patsy's fashion major neighbor from #1). And she's struggling against the path her parents want for her, much like Reuben didn't follow his parents. Could Patsy be hallucinating this?"

Then I says to myself, "Didn't Patsy's mother try and turn her into the center of a money making empire, with the comics and various liscensed merchandise. And didn't I read in Essential Defenders Vol. 4 that Patsy got a bit tired of that**?" Also, the heir, who appears human, is dating a Yeti, which is a sort of monster. And Patsy was married to the Son of Satan (or Satannish, if you go by what Engelhart wrote, for whatever difference that makes). And the series makes references to Patsy's suicide, with the wolf calling her a "manslayer" and saying that her (Patsy's) people die in many ways, for many reasons. A short while later, Patsy stumbles across an SUV that sort of looks like the one she's driving***, and the wolf tells her it's her grave. Which is kind of odd since the SUV doesn't have the same paint job as the one she's in, and has a magazine she didn't have at the time (but a magazine that explains why she believes the map is actually a calendar).

Plus, there's something about the calendar (probably it calling her "sexy", and berating her when she removes her mask and it can actually see her face) that reminds me of the goofy guy she ran into at that bar in #1. The one that kept trying to come onto her, so she hit him with her mug? Which, if there was a connection, might explain his initial hostility upon her losing the mask. Then there's the guy who gave her the snowmobile ride, and also presented her with the SUV. He looks exactly the same, but he acts as though he doesn't know anything about a snowmobile ride, which is either him being a snarky jerk, or extremely significant. And that's pretty much where I'm at with this series right now, swinging between everything have importance, and none of it really meaning anything, I'm just reading my own idiosyncrasies into it.

* I'm not certain that's the response Marvel would want, but it's the one these verdammt delays are prompting.

** I don't have that particular tome with me at this time, so I can't confirm, but I know they went into Patsy's history after her mother died in that volume.

*** What this really makes me think is that maybe this isn't Patsy's first attempt at this quest. The witches said that all their roads lead back to their home now, thus they can't find their heir. So if everything leads back to where it started could Patsy have tried this before, died, and is trying again without realizing it?

No comments: