Saturday, October 31, 2009

Why Don't I Have An Eye For Rhyme?

I ordered some Hitman trades* online a couple of weeks ago, they arrived this week, and I've been reading through them. I definitely need to talk more about them later, but for now, the thing I'm taking away from them is that perhaps I need to look into Ennis' Demon series.

And isn't that how it always goes? I pick up one thing I've heard rave reviews of, and think to myself that I'm one step closer to being happy with my comic collection as it is. Then the stuff I just bought introduces me to something else, and I wonder if I ought to be chasing that down as well. It's a vicious cycle.

That's not really what I wanted to discuss, either. The thing I like is how Ennis writes Etrigan, joyfully destructive, almost playful, but always dangerous. I also really enjoy the rhymes he writes. I don't know how he manages them. I have no gift for rhyme myself, certainly not to Ennis' ability. 'Is that an eclipse, I hear you cry? No, but Glonth has just passed by!' A rhyme that's also a fat joke? That's just awesome. I've been sitting here for 10 minutes trying to come up with a clever title that rhymes, nothing. How long does it take him to come up with that stuff?

That's all I have tonight. Traveling tomorrow, no post. Monday, post. In theory.

* Rage in Arkham, Ace of Killers, and Who Dares Wins, for the record. And I ordered the 2nd printing of 10,000 Bullets DC solicited.

1 comment:

SallyP said...

I guess that's why they pay him the big bucks.