Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What I Bought 11/25/09

I forgot to mention something when I reviewed With Wings Like Eagles last week. Korda makes sure to give credit to both Neville Chamberlain and Stephen Baldwin for approving the funding of the fighter squadrons and radar towers that helped protect Britain. For as much grief as they take for trying to appease Hitler, I should have mentioned they weren't completely sticking their heads in the sand. Oh yeah, I'm back.

Guardians of the Galaxy #20 - We see what's left of the Guardians trying to get back to their work of protecting the universe, as Moondragon officially joins the team. The major focus of the Guardians' activities for now seems to be investigating the Fault, but not everyone is content to leave that up to the Guardians. Plus, the Universal Church of Truth is steamed about the loss of their savior at the hands of our heroes.

The issue is largely about Moondragon, who has the double whammy of having lost her girlfriend, and having recently returned from the dead (again). Then there's her telepathy, which gives her a window into her teammates grief, which is severe enough that even Bug is being serious. We also may have another hint about what's in that other cocoon the UCT has, but I don't know what it could mean yet.

I didn't find it a great issue, maybe because I'm tired, or because I'm still bummed about all the character death last month. Brad Walker does fine with the art, his Fault monstrosities are freaky enough looking, though I'd like to see Wesley Craig's take on them. I wonder if it's significant that Moondragon's reports on Rocket and Drax' mission through the raccoon's thoughts, rather than her father's.

Immortal Weapons #5 - The Prince of Orphans needs Iron Fist's help with a problem. OK, not really. Part of the problem is a dragon, which is from K'un-Lun, and Mr. John Aman feels it would be a stain on Danny's honor for someone else to deal with the problem. Meanwhile, Aman will dispatch the 10,000 great warriors who have resisted death to gain vengeance who will escape the moment the dragon's killed. That's what he does, though it may not explain his title.

David Lapham chooses to keep the Prince of Orphans as a mysterious figure. He explains what he does, but not why. The trials he underwent to become an Immortal Weapon are not discussed, who he was before is not discussed. Which is fine. We know what he does, we know honor is important to him, and he likes to mess with the Immortal Weapons by gently chiding them. He may also set them vying with each other for his approval, which would be a dick move. I have a relative who plays games like that. I don't like them very much.

Artuo Lozzi handles the pencils for this story, and reminds me most of Doug Braithwaite, as it's pretty, clean, but kind of lifeless. Much of the combat panels have less life to them than I'd prefer. There's a sense of movement to them, but it's muted, moreso than I'd expect for a story involving the Green Mist of Death. Swierczynski and Diaz conclude the back-up story, and things work out as well as they can. It was OK, nothing special.

No comments: