Wednesday, November 03, 2010

This Post May Be Depressing

I saw this screenshot on Progressive Ruin this afternoon. Mr. Sterling was discussing the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse movie he'd watched recently, and he put this up to illustrate a point about Batman, his cape, and how they're presented. Which wasn't the thought I had when I looked at it, though it'd be better if it was.

I think Krypto is supposed to be sad because he's picking up on Superman's distress over something. Or Krypto doesn't like Batman. Still, my first thought was Krypto looked old. The line under his eye reminds me of wrinkles, the way the back of his jaw is drawn suggests flabby jowls to me, he even looks a little chunky in the trunk. I think that as Superman pets Krypto, he's reflecting on how sad it is Krypto doesn't have much energy for chasing asteroids anymore. Meanwhile, Batman is brooding on how broken up Clark will be when Krypto passes away.

It wasn't a thought I found amusing, which is encouraging. My reaction was more "Why did I think of that?!" My guess is some of my father's dogs are getting up there in years, slowing down, and I know all the same it'll get to him when they do pass away. Which makes me Batman in the scenario, a prospect I don't find nearly as appealing as others might.

No comments: