Thursday, November 18, 2010

What I Bought 11/17/2010

This has been a good month for my weekly pulls. No weeks with lots of comics followed by weeks with no comics. Just a few books every week, which is how I prefer it.

Darkwing Duck #6 - It turns out that in addition to there being several alternate universe Darkwings running amok through the city, the city's water has turned violent. Naturally, the starring Darkwing (our Darkwing? Darkwing-Prime? Ugh, let's not use Prime, brings back unpleasant memories of Reality-Wall Puncher) takes the blame, so he tries to solve that problem to restore his image. And fails miserably, at which point all the mind-controlled alternate Darkwings are released upon the city to fight each other. I think I even saw a Fozzy Bear Darkwing leaning out a window.

I think there's a significance to the arrow-using Darkwing never saying his name. Twice now it's been mentioned that Magica and Negaduck don't actually know what he calls himself, which doesn't seem like a coincidence. But we'll see. I hope Silvani's having fun drawing all these weird Darkwings. Presumably, they're just letting him go nuts with it, hence Bowling Ball Darkwing. I love the panel before the citizen screams "Everybody Panic!", where not only is the citizen staring at the talking bowling ball, but there's a bird flying past the window, looking in quizzically as well.

Nightmaster: Monsters of Rock - Nice touch, making the title look like something off a metal album. They even added an umlaut over the "a". The Shadowpact's been captured by an old enemy of Nightmaster's. Nightmaster needs to rescue his friends, but runs into a fan of his. Not a fan of his superheroic work, but of his musical career, which ended decades ago. The fan is very persistent, and follows Jim Rook throughout the quest, prattling on about what Rook's music meant to him, asking if he's making a comeback, pleading with him not to play in Vegas, and so on. Throughout this, Rook is trying to keep them both alive from the various threats Lord Meh is throwing at them.

This was a cute one-shot. Nothing consequential about it, but fun. Not necessarily funny, but fun. I don't know if it was intentional on Beechen's part, but I was drawing some comparisons between Eddie the music fan and comic fans. It could be as simple as fans all being alike, regardless of what they're fans of. As to the rest, I appreciated that Beechen tells us pretty much all we need to know about Nightmaster's past in a page, tops. Really, Jim Rook cover most of it in a panel, but Eddie takes a page describing Rook's last gig. Kieron Dwyer's art was fine. Dwyer's work has never been a personal favorite, there's something about the squared off, abrupt way people's faces are drawn I don't care for, but there's nothing wrong with it. The one issue I'd take here is Rook sustained an injury in his shoulder midway through the issue, and it seems to vanish then reappear for the remainder of the story. At first I thought it had healed, some property of his sword, or the realm they're in, but it came back, so I don't know.

R.E.B.E.L.S. #22 - I don't think I want to add those periods every time I type the title. This issue is related to use by a Green Lantern trying to explain her actions to the Blue Twerps Who Ruin Everything. This Lantern, Gorius, is a member of the same race that destroyed Starfire's homeworld, and she knows a little bit about Starfire's unpleasant past. Which lead to her following Starfire for awhile. Eventually, the go to the Psion homeworld, and we see how Psion females are treated and it's pretty disgusting. Which leads to Starfire and Gorius killing several of the male Psions. This could be an issue for Vril Dox' LEGION, since they were supposed to be protecting the Psion world, but once Vril sees how strongly Starfire feels about it, he wisely annuls the contract. The Psions are miffed, but not planning on changing their style anytime soon. Lantern Gorius' fate has not yet been decided.

I'm not clear on why she stalked Starfire, though. Was it empathy, a need to talk to someone who understood some of what she'd been through? It doesn't seem like Gorius always planned to bring Starfire to her homeworld so they could kick some ass. I have to say, that was a more serious issue than I expected to see brought up in the first issue I purchased, but that's OK. I'm also not entirely clear why Lanterns were planning to arrest Vril Dox, though I can guess. I wonder if I'll be able to tolerate Dox. He's so manipulative, arrogant, and image conscious, I may spend much of my time wanting to see him punched in the face. Then again, he's supposed to be captured by Starro soon, so that may take care of that for me. Claude St. Aubin and Kevin Sharpe are the pencilers. I think Sharpe handles the pages in the middle, when they reach Psion, but I'm not certain. St. Aubin draws Starfire a little different than I'm accustomed to, mostly that her hair is big, but not curly. It's not an issue, just different. I love that's she's drawn as being significantly taller than Captain Comet.

No comments: