Sunday, November 07, 2010

The Wall Doesn't Need Aynyone To Tell Her About Deadshot

There was one other bit from Secret Six #27 I liked, though I'm not sure if it was intended to be enjoyed that way.

At the beginning, the fight between the two teams is accompanied by Tremor's field report to Waller, largely outlining her observations of the group she's with (Scandal's team). It felt like an attempt by Simone to get any new readers up to speed, a recap that isn't. She mentions that Waller had Catman pegged as a man of ethics, possibly Suicide Squad leader material, but that's wildly out of date (evidenced I guess by Catman biting Dwarfstar as she says it). If you'd been away from the book for a time, or were brand new, that would tell you biting people is atypical for Catman, until recently anyway. Not sure that was Simone's intent, but it was a thought I had.

That's not the specific point I enjoyed, which came a panel earlier. In her assessment of Deadshot, she states 'I've seen snipers who are disconnected from their emotions as a defense mechanism. Lawton's problems go beyond that. I think he hates himself, Amanda.'

OK, there's nothing real "Ha, ha" there offhand, but what amused me about was I pictured Waller hearing this report. I see Tremor making some dramatic pause before the line about Floyd hating himself, expecting some big reaction, only to have Waller stare calmly at her and respond, "Yeah, and?" Maybe a little smirk, if there's any response at all.

I imagine this is Tremor's first major interaction with Floyd, so perhaps it's news to her (though you'd think Waller's files would mention something about Floyd's suicidal tendencies), but for Waller (or readers who have followed Deadshot for awhile), it's old news.

No comments: